Bonsai terrarium

Frogger05

Seedling
Reaction score
I am wanting to make my daughter a terrarium night light. And since I love bonsai and she enjoys my bonsais I thought I would try to combine the two. Will this work? And if so what kind of tree would be best to use? Any information provided is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Terrariums with plants are more like a container ship beacon than a night light.
Because plants need lots of light to stay happy.
You could put some bromelias and other indoor tropical plants in a terrarium and still have a cool thing to look at, but bonsai seems like a no-go unless she likes sleeping with the lights on.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You could consider 2 lights, one that grows the plant during the day, or have it near a window. Then your small led or similar for the night light part. Maybe try a ficus.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Look into Fairy Gardens; this may be the perfect solution for you.

If you search "fairy garden kits" or "fairy garden supplies," you should find plenty of stuff to get started with. You could make her a small one and it could be a fun project for you guys to create together!

A few years ago when I worked at a greenhouse, it was all the rage. We sold many small 1-2" potted starter plants (mostly indoor tropical stuff), doll house sized furniture, small figurines, glass terrariums and bowls, and small battery powered string/X-mas lights. The lights should give off enough light without being too obtrusive. You could make her a small one that could fit on a night table or dresser.

These were actually pretty cool little terrariums when put together and I could see your daughter getting a lot of enjoyment out of it. Maybe your local nursery will sell the different pieces, but if not, they're easy to find online.

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Kids don't have the same standards as we, the Great and Powerful Masters of All, not to speak of Being More an Better, Etc. Thank God. Any plants that have relatively tall-ish stems from a rosette that can be stripped of lower/shorter leaves, -woody or not, and can be made into something that is a more or less tropical/jungle looking palms, including palm seedlings, and figs are good candidates, too, especially Ficus benjamina, "Too Little", of which there are many varieties. Bulbletes or other tiny offsets of corms or bulbs can work well. Lilies, Calla Lily, Caladium, often have ~immature bulblets attached that we ignore, but can be removed an grown-on as a tiny plant.

You can utilize bonsai techiques by restricting the roots of your terrarium occupants by keeping them in containers. Pull them out when they get too big and trim the roots and put them back in. The little cups for coffee makers are useful. The platic tops from lots of consumer items from spray paint cans to large containers of washing machine soap can be used as pots. You can drill drainage holes in them, but cleaner holes can be made by heating a nail held with a vice-gripes red-hot with a Burnzomatic torch. Poke drainage holes in the sides rather than the bottoms. Paint them flat black for camoflage. This will make it easier to replace non-preforming items, muy pronto. If you use sunlight, you will grow algae and everything will lean towards the one side.

If you find a good source for fairies, let us know! (We have plenty of Trolls here)

Top Bottom