Bonsai that break the rules

Mark

Mame
Reaction score
The roots of Bonsai are recoginized as begining in China. That art form is of course called Penjing not Bonsai. The asthetics and practice are totally different. While I enjoy Penjing and respect the roots I prefer the Art of Bonsai and the Japanese culture that developed it and the values behind it.

The example of Bruce Lee is an interesting one. As you state" he had the utmost respect for the discipline" and "only formutated his own style after extensive research and practice".
Kind of my point.

GerhardG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi

1 2 and 4 work 100% for my eyes - lovely.
#3 has that loop, everything is 100% as long as there's leaves hiding that loop....

Marc S

Yamadori
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with breaking the "rules", but it has to look right, natural or asthetecally right, breaking the "rules" needs to work not be an excuse to call an abhoration a bonsai.

I was going to say that it goes with out saying , but following the "rules" doesen't make it make a good bonsai an automatic either.

Bonsai isn't about rules, it's about making a nice tree. People who insist on the rules can't make a nice tree. Making a tree according to the rules is easier than making a "nice" tree imo.

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Bonsai isn't about rules, it's about making a nice tree. People who insist on the rules can't make a nice tree. Making a tree according to the rules is easier than making a "nice" tree imo. "

Uh.... UM......yeah, what HE said...............

BUBBAFRGA

Mame
Reaction score
Learn the rules and once you know them.......do what you want and works best for you and the tree.

I like all the trees except the last one....it just doesn't look right.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Breaking the rules

I'm in the camp that we follow guidelines when it comes to rules…… and I will refer to mother nature and pay particular attention to the growth form, habit and characteristics of a specific species to help me formulate a style and given attributes.
From my limited experience in this art, I see too many trees that I haven’t seen in a natural setting, they do follow the rules and look acceptable but the examples that started this thread do have appeal to me.
I also understand that we design them for a viewer, a specific height, display setting, and precise angle and even more specifically, from a photographic standpoint. However although some photographs are truly technically well done and really capture a truly wonderful looking tree, scene, etc., I find that it limits the true beauty of a tree when viewed live and from 3 dimensions.
Cheers
G.

Top Bottom