Bonsai Today Masters' Series Pines

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just wanted to share my thoughts on this book.When I first bought this book I had no idea how to start with JBP.I really bought it cause' I read it had suggestions on growing from seed.I like the fact that it suggests a couple way's to balence energy on JBP.Although one of the suggested ways is tailored from the mid-atlantic region of the USA it can safely be interpreted into stage of growth rather than exact timing.And the fact that the mid- atlantic covers three growing zones,chances for success are high.After your first growing season you will pretty much understand what you want to do.
I love the colander method in it to grow from seed(aside from the fact that 6'' colanders are very hard to source).The binding of the book is very poor also,but I still value the knowledge I found inside.I would love to post pictures from it ,but that is probally not a good idea.I am just amazed of the pictures in this book of JBP from seed using the colander method.Some trees are potted after only 6-7 years.You can let them go for much longer in the colander's for bigger trunk.There was a picture of a 20 year old one from seed,it is amazing.
The book does an equal job on JWP also.I did employ the techniqes on one once,but I no longer have that tree,though it worked beautifully.
I am very happy to own this book.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
+1 on the binding...I actually took mine in and had it spiral-bound at Staples when the spine blew out. I probably wouldn't have kept it if it wasn't for my daughter's (at 4-years old) inscription inside the cover...it was a birthday present back in '05, and I've since completed my BT collection, but she'll never be 4 again...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just wanted to share my thoughts on this book.When I first bought this book I had no idea how to start with JBP.I really bought it cause' I read it had suggestions on growing from seed.I like the fact that it suggests a couple way's to balence energy on JBP.Although one of the suggested ways is tailored from the mid-atlantic region of the USA it can safely be interpreted into stage of growth rather than exact timing.And the fact that the mid- atlantic covers three growing zones,chances for success are high.After your first growing season you will pretty much understand what you want to do.
I love the colander method in it to grow from seed(aside from the fact that 6'' colanders are very hard to source).The binding of the book is very poor also,but I still value the knowledge I found inside.I would love to post pictures from it ,but that is probally not a good idea.I am just amazed of the pictures in this book of JBP from seed using the colander method.Some trees are potted after only 6-7 years.You can let them go for much longer in the colander's for bigger trunk.There was a picture of a 20 year old one from seed,it is amazing.
The book does an equal job on JWP also.I did employ the techniqes on one once,but I no longer have that tree,though it worked beautifully.
I am very happy to own this book.

I too think the book is very good. Not so much for the info in it, which is getting dated, but for the fact that it amasses all the information from Bonsai Today and put in one place with an index. After that as far as learning how to make Blackpine bonsai Good Luck. The one thing I do not like about the book is that since it is an accumulation of many articles, there are many points of view about how to grow black pines. From experience, it is far better to pick a person, make a judgement about their acomplishments, and learn from that person. As far as that goes, so far the only person doing that in a superior way is Boon Manakivitipart. Many of the techniques in that series (the book) are contradictory and counter productive.

As far as colanders, most nursery's now carry "gro-bags". These are mesh canvas bags of two to three gallon size that will do everything a colander will do and you can buy them fairly cheap. Look for them, they are really nice.

Attachments

• SL-Smart_Pots_L.gif
    SL-Smart_Pots_L.gif
    23.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
+1 on the binding...I actually took mine in and had it spiral-bound at Staples when the spine blew out. I probably wouldn't have kept it if it wasn't for my daughter's (at 4-years old) inscription inside the cover...it was a birthday present back in '05, and I've since completed my BT collection, but she'll never be 4 again...
That's really nice,and thanks for the tip on the binding.It is funny,I did give my first copy of it away cause' I could'nt find colanders.I then purchased a new one and googled colanders and I found them on the very first listing.I only had enough money for five of them.I checked back a short time later to find the site had vanished.I am up to 15 six inch colander's now.and am going to use them all in Spring.Thanks again.

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The one thing I do not like about the book is that since it is an accumulation of many articles, there are many points of view about how to grow black pines.
I agree ...the different techniques are not presented in any logical, organized fashion to facilitate learning or point out the plus/minus of them.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As far as colanders, most nursery's now carry "gro-bags". These are mesh canvas bags of two to three gallon size that will do everything a colander will do and you can buy them fairly cheap. Look for them, they are really nice.

I believe this is similar to the bags that capnk uses at Telperion Farms they are wonderful and provide growth similar to being in the ground but provide a fibrous root system like a colander.... great stuff

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I concur on the root bags, a club member is growing in these and having good success.

The timing method you mention is probably the better way to go, it makes you pay attention to the tree, rather than using a date that may be for a totally different climate.

Boon has a DVD about the pines I believe.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Boon has a DVD about the pines I believe.

Yes he does and they are wonderful. There are three I believe, repotting, wiring&styling and maintenance(decandling) if I remember right. In my opinion, some of the best Bonsai dvd's on the market right now worth paying for.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my opinion, you'll get a lot more out of Boon's DVDs than you will the Stone Lantern book (the DVDs are fantastic). The only thing the book might offer over the DVDs is growing seedling pines, but that's about it.

I've always been very disappointed by the book because it's a compendium of many Bonsai Today articles, written over the course of many years by many authors, who use different terminology. No attempt appears to have been made to standardize the terminology, etc., which makes things confusing.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The original article(s) in Bonsai Today ...particularly on starting pines from seed, are SO much easier to understand/follow than the article in the Pines book. I lamented this a couple of years ago until I found the old article.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Bonsai Today issues 20, 83 and, 106 have articles on growing pines from seed.
Thanks Jeff L. That index is a good tool.

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've always been very disappointed by the book because it's a compendium of many Bonsai Today articles, written over the course of many years by many authors, who use different terminology. No attempt appears to have been made to standardize the terminology, etc., which makes things confusing.

Yeah, when this book first came out I said the same thing. Why reprint articles that are already reprints? The other thing to note is that the articles from BT 20 etc about growing trees from seed do mention but should emphasize more that the technique shown is only for making small trees.....e.g. ten years in, assuming you've done everything right, you've got an 8-12" tree. A bigger tree will take much longer. So much can go wrong though....

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for singling out the issue numbers with the growing from seed articles.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai Today issues 20, 83 and, 106 have articles on growing pines from seed.
Thanks Jeff L. That index is a good tool.
Glad you got use of it... I gave my collection of bonsai magazines to a rising bonsai star, so the index isn't too useful to me anymore.

Bill is refering to an index I made a few years ago of most of the Bonsai Today issues and few other bonsai magaiznes listing the article titles, dates, etc. If anyone wants a copy send me a PM and I'll try to find it again.

Jeff L
AKA bonsai barry

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jeremiah got your whole stash?

Top Bottom