Bonsai Today sold to Bonsai Europe?

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Just got an email - it appears Bonsai Today has been sold to Bonsai Europe as of today. Didn't see that coming... it's not a spoof email, it's from a good source.

Here's to the future, 2 fine publications apart now together. I hope everything works out well.

Opinion?

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting. Hope there are not any major changes until one or the other of my subscriptions run out!

-Darrell

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation Will.

Congratulations to Wayne. I hope it was a worthwhile business deal for him, he has provided a great magazine to American Bonsai enthusiasts (wether we liked it or not, or subscribed to it or not). Perhaps this will allow Stone Lantern the time and assets to concentrate more on books.

It is a bit sad to see the only American bonsai magazine purchased by a foreign company. I think that the actions speak volumes about the state of bonsai in the States.

I anxiously await how this will all shake out.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wayne has been talking about selling Bonsai Today for almost a year now, in the conversations we've had he expressed his desire to concentrate on publishing books, Stone Lantern will survive and no doubt prosper.

Bonsai in the States is doing just fine, Wayne made a nice living with Bonsai Today and that magazine has contributed more to bonsai in this country than any other to date. He sold because he has other dreams, not because it was failing.

In the hands of Bonsai Europe, it is sure to get even better, if they continue the magazine and not turn it into a satellite of Bonsai Europe.

Will

Last edited:

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wayne made a nice living with Bonsai Today and that magazine has contributed more to bonsai in this country than any other to date. He sold because he has other dreams, not because it was failing.

In the hands of Bonsai Europe, it is sure to get even better, if they continue the magazine and not turn it into a satellite of Bonsai Europe.

Didn't Wayne just purchase BT a short while ago, relatively speaking? It seems like a short stint with that publication.

BT will have to become a satellite of BE. They have a successful format that works. It wouldn't make sense from a business point of view to adopt another's format and try to incorporate it into yours that your familiar with and is successful.

As much as I enjoy both magazines, I see no good from this. It will be a bit like inbreeding.......

Just a bit of fun speculation

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What's next, BonsaiWorld? :)

I need to pick up a copy of BonsaiEurope. I have heard good things. I have the first 100 or so BonsaiTodays. I am just waiting for a better index for them :) Maybe one day I'll sit down and make one myself!

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nut,
BE is a WONDERFUL magazine and WELL WORTH the few extra bucks above BT cost.
It is exceptionally great for those of us in the NE USA, which, I see, you aren't! ;)
Dale

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting. Hope there are not any major changes until one or the other of my subscriptions run out!

-Darrell

FYI, just got a letter today from Bonsai Focus that they know I have subscriptions to both Bonsai Today and Bonsai Europe, and that they will extend my subscription by however many issues of Bonsai Today that I have outstanding.

-Darrell

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Well what do you know !!! Got BT earlier this week with Wayne's editorial. Then low and behold ....BF today !! Havn't got a chance to really read BF yet but the first skim was impressive. At least it arrived on time ( like in the months it represents )

Top Bottom