Bonsai Tool improvise container or bag

BISTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What have you been using as a bonsai bag for your tool? Are there any improvise bag or container that we can use. Does somebody used a tool box? or maybe any other bag.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What have you been using as a bonsai bag for your tool? Are there any improvise bag or container that we can use. Does somebody used a tool box? or maybe any other bag.
You can use a tool box or anything convenient. I keep my stuff in a tool box and then use an electrical tool belt to hold things while I work. Just remember to clean and disinfect your tools after you use them and keep oiled with a non toxic oil.

BISTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You can use a tool box or anything convenient. I keep my stuff in a tool box and then use an electrical tool belt to hold things while I work. Just remember to clean and disinfect your tools after you use them and keep oiled with a non toxic oil.
What do you use to clean and sharpen your tools? Thanks for the reply

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Pieces of closed cell foam 1/2″ or 3/4″ pipe insulation works very well to protect the sharp, polished cutting surfaces of my bonsai tools while in storage. If the tool roll pocket openings are the right size you can also insert the foam insulation into the pockets to protect the cutting ends of smaller tools.
foam-tool-protector-1024x768.jpg

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In lieu of traditional fabric /leather tool rolls, tool boxes or tool brief cases, inexpensive silverware trays work well.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I throw mine on a shelf. I don't travel with my tools, so I don't need a belt or toolbox. If they get dull and/or blunt, I'll just buy new ones. They're cheap chinese tools for less than 10-20 bucks a piece, delivered to my home for free.
I've tried sharpening blades and tools and I seem to screw it up every time. Getting them sharpened would cost me more than they are worth. The only tool I own that has any sentimental value is a victorinox pocket knife I got from my mom when I was 9 years old. That one deserves professional care. All the rest is just a tool, and they are used as such.

My concave and knob cutters tend to stay sharp for at least 4-8 years at the rate of which I use them. I base this on other gardening shears I have that are of the same quality, because I haven't been into bonsai for more than 3 years.

Wire cutters are a different story, I get those at the dollar store for about 3 dollars a piece and I buy a new one every year.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What do you use to clean and sharpen your tools? Thanks for the reply
I use cleaning alcohol to disinfect the tools and afterward just rub them down with extra virgin olive oil or general grape-seed oil.
It depends what tools you have. Cheap tools can be sharpened on a grinder, more expensive tools may need to be professionally sharpened.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use one of my wife's old shoulder bag/purse. It's all slots and pockets and zippers. Each tool goes in a separate slot. Eyeglasses and small accessories go in the pockets.

Top Bottom