Bonsai tools from common tools

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I am always looking for ways to save money in todays economy. I am now looking to secure some additional Bonsai tools. I really would like to see if anyone has come up alternate tools that do the same instead of paying of the named bonsai tools.

Example. Instead of getting trimming shears I purchased a set of gardening scissors. Saved $25 and they do the same.
Example. Root rake... I took a old three prong house fork, out the forks in a vice and bent them. No I have a rake and a pick for nothing.

I am really looking for examples for the concave shears.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am like you and try to re-purpose house tools but there is no substitute to a proper bonsai concave cutter. Sorry.

If you have to buy one tool...this is it and don't buy a cheap one either. ;)

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Can't think of a tool to do the concave cutter either, but you can cut it off flat, then use knives and chisels to give the depression. But the concave cutter does that in a quick snip.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
BTW here are some other things I do/use:

I am a pincher, old cuticle nipper work great. (warning: DO NOT get the wife's good one!!!)
I use green twist ties for guy wiring..they are strong and very cheap (less than $2 for a spool of 50 yards I think)
I use aquarium bubble tubing as cushion between the branch...just cut a short piece and thread the twist tie (mentioned above) through.
I use exacto knife or box cutter instead of grafting knife.
Cheap household long nose and wire cutters work well for wiring.
Turnbuckles work well on heavy duty bending (much safer too)...costs less than $2 from Lowe's or Home Depot
I use gypsum wall board joint tape for my drain holes. I just cut the desired length. Works great esp since it sticks to the pot.
Old toothbrush to clean bark etc.
Bamboo skewer for various tasks.

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Me too on the tubing, bamboo, and toothbrush. A scalpel works great for a grafting knife, some can get them easier than others, but they work great.

Looking for ideas for a tool pouch/roll without doing a bunch of sewing.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This thread is likely to get you chastised by the purists here, do not mention you heard it from me, but look up channellock end nipping pliers. They make excellent concave cutters, there are also less expensive end nipping pliers that will work too, I have seen them as cheap as $5.

ed

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Me too on the tubing, bamboo, and toothbrush. A scalpel works great for a grafting knife, some can get them easier than others, but they work great.

Looking for ideas for a tool pouch/roll without doing a bunch of sewing.

You have Harbor Freight there? You can get a dandy tool roll, about 2 feet long, will hold at least 30 tools for $8.00.

Attachments

• DSCF00030001.JPG
    DSCF00030001.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF00070002.JPG
    DSCF00070002.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 49

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm the opposite. I have a 4 foot long concave cutter I use for around the house stuff like trimming yard bushes.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I also bought from Goodwill a used rotating bar stool and and and Ikea lazy susan...both for less than $10.00 Later, I also got 2 free pneumatic & revolving stools through Craigslist. :D

I buy from HarborFreight as well but not much there for bonsai. The ones that can apply, I already have.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks Al, we do have Harbour Freight, now I will have to visit.
The one thing have been told about them is the garantee is good at least.

Yes to the stool, I have one from an old drafting table, it raises up spins, but no brake.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Remist,

I PMed you last night about a Joshua Roth concave cutter on eBay. I think it is a great deal at $32.95 (+ $5.15 s&h) that I bought one for myself (my 5th concave cutter :D ). I believe there is only 1 left after I got mine so hurry!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Remist,

I PMed you last night about a Joshua Roth concave cutter on eBay. I think it is a great deal at $32.95 (+ $5.15 s&h) that I bought one for myself (my 5th concave cutter :D ). I believe there is only 1 left after I got mine so hurry!

Wow, I've been bonsaiing for more then 15 years and I've only purchased 3 concave cutters in that time...all 3 are still in service as one(my first) is reserved for root work and the other two are different sizes.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow, I've been bonsaiing for more then 15 years and I've only purchased 3 concave cutters in that time...all 3 are still in service as one(my first) is reserved for root work and the other two are different sizes.
You see, I have this tool collection sickness... :D

All 5 are working and one is a cheap Chinese for root work. I mostly use my large and a small Joshy right now. I keep one in my car for faster clean up when collecting (lopper is bulky on tight areas). I also have Masakuni set I bought pre-owned that I haven't used yet. This last one will be my extra back-up :D

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
You see, I have this tool collection sickness... :D

I keep one in my car for faster clean up when collecting (lopper is bulky on tight areas). I also have Masakuni set I bought pre-owned that I haven't used yet. This last one will be my extra back-up :D

There medications for this...good luck.:p

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Most of my tools are in a dish pan (though I have a bonsai tool bag) and use this for the most used items...concave cutter, knob cutter, long scissors, knife, bamboo skewer, & old toothbrush. Sometimes, I put my long nose pliers and wire cutter here also.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P30BVE/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i02

41nWFR%2BCRcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I was surprised when in my first class with Ryan Neil he used a pair of ordinary combination pliers for jin and wiring work. He said that when he started his apprenticeship Mr. Kimura sent him down the street to a hardware store to get a pair as that is what Kimura uses also.

Top Bottom