Bonsai Tools

fexef

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey, I found those two "scissors" in my Dad's Garage and wondered if they are apropriate for cutting bonsais. I mainly work with smaller junipers. I think I will need a concave cutter but thought maybe I won't need to buy scissors (at least for now). Also if they would work, is it possible to just sharpen them with a whetstone or do they need some "special" treatment?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20210225_134010.jpg
    20210225_134010.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 15

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Starting out you really don't need special "bonsai" tools for most work. Normal pruners, scissors, needle nose pliers, wire cutters, work just fine. Knob cutters and concave cutters are probably the only specialty tools you'll need to consider initially.

parvae_arbores

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have all the tools and rarely use the vast majority. You can get by with what you showed above for 99% of cutting, especially on small junipers.
Starting out you really don't need special "bonsai" tools for most work. Normal pruners, scissors, needle nose pliers, wire cutters, work just fine. Knob cutters and concave cutters are probably the only specialty tools you'll need to consider initially.

I agree with Brian, you can use what you have and special tools are not required, the ones I use most are wire cutters, pliers, scissors. As I have been watching professionals over the years, you will notice that they use 3-4 tools max and many of their tools are doing double duty. The "special tools" out there just save you time.

Here are some "special tools" I like and use often on junipers:
The rudyban tool --> carving deadwood
Root rake --> repotting
Chopstick --> repotting
branch splitter --> bending whips and less flexible branches
sheet rock knife --> peeling bark

fexef

Seedling
Reaction score
I have all the tools and rarely use the vast majority. You can get by with what you showed above for 99% of cutting, especially on small junipers.

I agree with Brian, you can use what you have and special tools are not required, the ones I use most are wire cutters, pliers, scissors. As I have been watching professionals over the years, you will notice that they use 3-4 tools max and many of their tools are doing double duty. The "special tools" out there just save you time.

Here are some "special tools" I like and use often on junipers:
The rudyban tool --> carving deadwood
Root rake --> repotting
Chopstick --> repotting
branch splitter --> bending whips and less flexible branches
sheet rock knife --> peeling bark
Thanks, thats really helpfull. Iam glad I can save money for the scissors and invest in a concave cutter and maybe some deadwood tools.
How do you keep your tools sharp? Are you using a regular wheatstone?

parvae_arbores

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Top Bottom