Bonsai Tree Name Help

Mworgull

Seed
Reaction score
Hello. I recently bought a bonsai tree and unfortunately I didn't get any information on it. The guy that I bought it from said that it would live indoors. I would like to know if anyone knows what type of tree it is, if it can live mostly indoors, and any other information you might know. Here is a picture of the bonsai in question. If more pictures or details are needed just say so and I will put more in the post. Thanks :)
0219n.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yep, a Juniper. It will not live indoors.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is a juniper. Of what specific type, I'm not sure, but someone else more into junipers could probably tell you which. It needs to be outdoors during the winter to achieve dormancy or it will die.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
The guy you bought it from lied to you. It is a juniper and must be outdoors 100% of the time. This is a type of tree known in the hobby as "mallsai". These trees are usually growing in totally inappropriate soil which will eventually kill the tree if it isn't dying already as most mallsai are.
If you want to try to save your tree start by keeping it outside. Remove the moss and rocks from the soil. And most important, find a bonsai club near you where you can receive help and instruction.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The seller knows how to take care of trees or that one would be dead. He just lies and tells you what you want to here. It's a juniper. It needs to be outside. It might live for a year inside and you think its doing ok, but its actually getting weaker and will finally die at some point.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
it is a stressed procumbens nana juniper if im not mistaken

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yep Juniperus procumbens nana. One of the better looking mallsi I've seen Ill admit.

Ill reiterate what others have said: It NEEDS to be outside or it WILL die.

The guy most likely knows it will die inside and told you it could live inside because he wanted to make a sale. He also might be hoping you'll think you did something wrong when it does die and come back to him and buy again.

Welcome to BNut, you came to the right place and in time to save your tree if you listen to the advice given.

Last edited:

Mworgull

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone for helping :)
Can anyone post a link to a comprehensive guide for taking care of Junipers in the winter? If so that would be great! Thanks

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
in case nobody posts anything. Water when needed(as it gets dry). Spray foliage with a dormant spray such as neem oil or volck oil(i add malathion to the oil) to prevent mites. You should spray your tree quarterly as a preventative. If you have mites than treat it as stated above but then follow up approx. 2 weeks later. Be careful during hot days as the tree will suffer. try planning it during cloudy days. fertilize sparingly with either organic or chemical until you see the tree is responding well and growing then fertilizer can be bumped up a bit. anyone feel free to correct or add as you see fit.

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Junipers are very cold hardy but since you are in Maine, it would be a good idea to have a place to put it during the very coldest days or when the weather is bad such as icing conditions or a heavy snow.

The ideal place would be an unheated garage where you can easily keep an eye on it.

Another possible place is in the basement right in the stairway to the bilco door if that stays cold enough.

It needs an area that won't get above 40 deg but is protected from the harsh drying winds, heavy snow and icing of winter.

Top Bottom