Bonsai Tree Roots Submerged In Salt Water

RJG

Seed
Reaction score
Hello to all. I'm new to the forum and would appreciate any advice on dealing with bonsai trees that have been exposed to salt water.

I live on the bay in New Jersey and in anticipation of the coming storm I moved my 8 specimen temperate bonsai trees into my unheated garage to shield them from the 60mph winds and flooding tides. Unfortunately, this morning's high tide was much higher than expected and about a foot of salt water went into the garage and the roots on all of the trees were submerged in salt water for 2-3 hours.

I have drenched each pot several times with fresh water and allowed them to drain. I have successfully cared for these trees for 25-35 years, but I have never encountered this issue before or read about anybody else having to deal with it.

My feeling is that the trees are dormant and much of the salt water has been flushed out with fresh water, so that should be sufficient intervention, but I would appreciate any advice or contrary opinions.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm very sorry to hear about your trees. I don't know the best way to proceed, but i think the only way to get all the salt water out is to soak them alsmost as long in fresh water (but its speculation and bad for the tree).

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You are doing the correct thing. Soak the trees in a tub of fresh water, then dump the water, then soak them again. The salt/water concentration will always balance between your soil and the water you are soaking it in, so each time you replace the old salty water with new fresh water, more salt will leach out of the soil.

If you are up to it, taste the water. Human taste buds are very sensitive to low salt concentrations. Ocean water is about 3.5% salt concentration, human taste can pick up salt concentrations as low as .2%. If you soak your tree for an hour and you can't taste any salt in the water, I'd say you're good to go.

Last edited:

RJG

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your replies.

I submerged the roots in fresh water today and soaked them for a hour. I'll do that again tomorrow, then taste the water to see if I can detect any salt.

Thanks again for your help!

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You could let the hose run on them for a few hours flushing them. As the water goes through it will absorb the salt and pull it out.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I vote you'll be good.

But only if you post a pic drinking from a pot!
Bonus points for a straw.
Extra points for a bendy straw..
Extra extra points for a swirly straw!

I'll do it if you do it!

I would like to see those trees!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sounds like you really will be good!

Sorce

Woodland Spirit

Chumono
Reaction score
You are doing the correct thing. Soak the trees in a tub of fresh water, then dump the water, then soak them again. The salt/water concentration will always balance between your soil and the water you are soaking it in, so each time you replace the old salty water with new fresh water, more salt will leach out of the soil.

If you are up to it, taste the water. Human taste buds are very sensitive to low salt concentrations. Ocean water is about 3.5% salt concentration, human taste can pick up salt concentrations as low as .2%. If you soak your tree for an hour and you can't taste any salt in the water, I'd say you're good to go.
Excellent advice.

One thing I wonder about. In open non bonsai gardens.
In salted soil I use half composted material and various saprophytic fungi to render inert the salts.
Would it be unwise that add half composted compost tea to the bonsai watering?

Reaction score
I have a curious question?
How is your normal tap / drinking water?
Only reason why I ask, is that often with severe flooding not only will salt water get into the city lines due to naturally occurring leaks, but also sewage.

Are you having to boil your water before use? If not... I would wonder why not? And would take the extra precaution of doing so, or using bottled water, for your own safety as well as family.

Something also to consider with trees... how well is the water you are now flashing with. Might want to use distilled bottle water.

Good luck with your trees, but more importantly the situation of the flooding you are going through.

Woodland Spirit

Chumono
Reaction score
I would second the recommendation of distilled water if you are not so sure of the purity of culinary.

Also by half composted I meant not completed composting. The process of biodegrading locks up salts. So theories suggest that salts can be broken down by the process.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Best of luck to you, sounds like you have the best process going that you can at this point. Just be cautious of tasting that water if there are any contamination fears. Hope everything pulls thru for you. At least they are dormant right now, and may not uptake the salt as quickly as in the growing season.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm still totally looking forward to raising my pot in drink with you!

Sorce

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Does charcoal suck up salt? If so it may help too. Out in a good rain would sure help, but up there I imagine its all snow this time of year.
We would like to see your trees, after so much time they must be special. What species?
Hey Source, dont your pots have holes in the bottom? Drinking from them could be a hard trick to pull off. Maybe the secret is flexy straws? Whats your secret for collanders and drinking?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Does charcoal suck up salt? If so it may help too.?

No it doesnt and it wont help.

I think the OP has done what he can do to save his trees from the salt. If you are prone to flooding, next time put them on some cheap shelves from Home Depot.

Good Luck, I really hope you got them in time.
Give us some pics of them when you think they are out of the woods with the salt.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I hope your trees pull through. Your post reminded me of this:
We lost a local palm to an unusually high tide this week . . . sail on!
palmtreerincon1.jpg palmtreerincon2.jpg palmtreerincon3.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does charcoal suck up salt? If so it may help too. Out in a good rain would sure help, but up there I imagine its all snow this time of year.
We would like to see your trees, after so much time they must be special. What species?
Hey Source, dont your pots have holes in the bottom? Drinking from them could be a hard trick to pull off. Maybe the secret is flexy straws? Whats your secret for collanders and drinking?

No bottom drainage.

I can tip em and drink!

Sorce

Top Bottom