Bonsai trees choice for shady area

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Hello,
Have an empty space in the garden that can for 5-6 trees.
20230411_094614.jpg

Bonsais already there have only been there since few days while.i prepare stands for them so no indication on whether they are fine there or not.
Unfortunately that area receives very little sun light as its in the shade of couple bog pine trees as well as an eugenia fence between the bonsai trees placement and the sun from south. Trees will get very good daylight exposure yet no direct sunlight. Area gets good wind exposure.
Wondering if any of the below trees is a better fit for shady area ?
Cedar Lebanese and atlas
Pine
Olive
Podocarpus
Juniper
elm
Acerpalmatum
Mock privet
Oak
Crab apple
Another option/possibility is placing grow lights or strong lights above the trees for 5-6 hours per day if that makes it any better?
Thanks for any suggestion on above or other trees

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Crabapple, Acer P, possibly...

My winged elm is in morning sun. I believe I was told to not put it in full sun. My Catlin Elm and Drake elm love full sun. So...I pause with elm as to cultivar choice.

Pine,juniper and Olive love sun...so no. I doubt they would be happy.

My knowledge of what was listed.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just about everything you listed needs plenty of sun.
Azalea is king of shade gardens.
Yew is also doable.
Many JM would work well.
Many quince do best with some afternoon shade.
These are just some of the most obvious. There are many choices but I'll abstain from further suggestions and wait for others to pop in. I have no place on my property that gets sun all day long.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
To clarify no sun.light reaches those spots except in Jul-Aug when sun crosses on top directly directly rest of the year sun passes from further south and trees will shade the bonsai totally from direct sun.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
From your list, only Japanese maple. For July-August when the sun does reach there, you will need to use shadecloth or some other way of shading the trees, or they will fry.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
To clarify no sun.light reaches those spots except in Jul-Aug when sun crosses on top directly directly rest of the year sun passes from further south and trees will shade the bonsai totally from direct sun.
Not even dappled sunlight. Maybe...not an ideal spot then.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
That's my concern. Would artificial lighting or grow lights help?
I think you're worrying too much; there's "very good daylight exposure" so it's not like you're growing in complete darkness! From the picture your hedge looks healthy. I think it would be fine for Japanese maples if you shade them in the summer, and I certainly wouldn't mess around with grow lights (which would only give a tiny fraction of the light exposure that's there at present).
Yews would also be good trees for that location, if you have them growing locally.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's my concern. Would artificial lighting or grow lights help?
No. Grow lights are generally about the equivalent of a bright sun free area. If it was my spot, a shade garden would be preferable.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Most trees will survive in bright light but no direct sun. They are very adaptable in order to survive in forest, etc.
It is more a case of growth being a bit shorter and more compact with more sun but longer internodes and larger leaves in less light which makes it just that bit more difficult to train really good bonsai.
I'd try Crab apple, any maples, elm, podocarpus and even juniper and olive from the list. The last 2 generally grow in exposed places but do surprisingly well in slight shade too.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
From your list, only Japanese maple. For July-August when the sun does reach there, you will need to use shadecloth or some other way of shading the trees, or they will fry.
FRY ??? JM fry? Naaaaah, they're part cactus. 😅

crispy maple.JPG

A hard learned lesson about maples in kiln weather. :eek:

Natty Bumppo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone bonsai flowering dogwood? They love shade. Don't know if you can find them in Lebanon or not. And a thumbs up for maples

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Shade Tolerance is what you are looking for when deciding which trees to put in this location.

Think about where certain plant species live and thrive in the wild. Can they survive in the understory or in deep draws that get limited light?

People are correct in suggesting mountain maple. It is an understory species, hence it is shade tolerant. Nearly all pines are considered shade intolerant. Most North American oaks have a medium shade tolerance.

Last edited:

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Mountain Laurel, kalmia latifolia. Tolerates shade well and has awesome flowers.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
tell you what, i'm in a super sunny area, and bought trees like mad, (check my response in the "what stage are you at" thread), whatever doesn't get cooked on my roof might not be suitable for your shady area.
I'd suggest that the pine, olive and juniper might be a big NO for your shady spot.

Top Bottom