bonsai turn table

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I made a bonsai turn table out of a lazy Susan round metal frame but it is rough when turning and I can't seem to correct that. I also purchased on from a supplier that was worse. I need one 8-10" around that works smoothly. I will put it on a base. Suggestions appreciated. Peter

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The best thing going is to buy an old barber’s chair (or hairdresser’s chair) with a foot pump hydronic pump. Throw away the chair and install a round table top. They are sturdy, can hold the weight, turn, but have enough resistance to turning so they’re stable.

Combine that with an adjustable office chair, and you have an excellent work table!

I recently purchased a little Shohin turntable I can clamp onto my workstation that has a tilt feature. I got it from Bill Valalvanis. It’s a great addition!

image.jpg

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks Adair. I actually have a nice hair dressers chair that I could use but it is a bit big for the space that I have on my deck and the house. Would like something I can easily transport around and set it on a table or bench.

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I use a rotating TV tray. Works pretty well and is super cheap (I think I paid $20 for it).

Same. It's not butter smooth or anything, but it was really cheap on Amazon, works just fine, and can be left out in the weather without it caring.

Reaction score
North Auckland (whangaparaoa), New Zealand
USDA Zone
10b
The best thing going is to buy an old barber’s chair (or hairdresser’s chair) with a foot pump hydronic pump. Throw away the chair and install a round table top. They are sturdy, can hold the weight, turn, but have enough resistance to turning so they’re stable.

Combine that with an adjustable office chair, and you have an excellent work table!

I recently purchased a little Shohin turntable I can clamp onto my workstation that has a tilt feature. I got it from Bill Valalvanis. It’s a great addition!

View attachment 252930
any old office chair will work in the same way, plus easy to drag around as its on wheels

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
In 2004 a member of a French forum designed a turntable that has since then been reproduced by a commercial company (he got no royalties for it).

Here are a couple of photos from another site, the original site which had details and many photos was closed some years ago.

Similar projects, lots of photos there :

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I made this and it works well:

I have it mounted to a bench, but it could be easily made to be portable.

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score

View attachment 252930

I've got two in my indoor workshop. :)

20190616_150119.jpg

Reaction score
North Auckland (whangaparaoa), New Zealand
USDA Zone
10b
It wouldn’t be as stable.
100% correct, however It's not too bad if your work space is level, and a cheap way to get a turntable if you have an old office chair. I might look to replace the castors with lockable wheels which would solve that issue, and also figure out an easy way to quickly remove/install the plywood for storage.

Also what is that green thing on yours?

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
I use a TV tray and a lazy Susan I stole from the pantry. The wife wasn't happy, but that was a couple of years ago. I just try and keep it out of her sight now 🤣😂🤣

20190721_163343.jpg

Barber shop chair is definitely the long term plan though lol

Doug J

Mame
Reaction score

View attachment 252930
OMG...please tell me that's not a propane grill in the background. I thought you southern boys knew BBQ.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
OMG...please tell me that's not a propane grill in the background. I thought you southern boys knew BBQ.
It is, and I don’t cook BBQ. Not that I don’t like it, I do! But I grill. I’m not into spending hours doing BBQ.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
100% correct, however It's not too bad if your work space is level, and a cheap way to get a turntable if you have an old office chair. I might look to replace the castors with lockable wheels which would solve that issue, and also figure out an easy way to quickly remove/install the plywood for storage.

Also what is that green thing on yours?
The green thing is a Shohin sized clamp-on turntable, that has tie-downs, and can be tilted in all directions and angles. I got it from Bill Valalvanis.

Top Bottom