"Bonsai University" by Bjorn Bjorholm

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think I've seen anyone post this, but Bjorn has started a free demo/education series he's calling "Bonsai University" on his youtube channel. The link below is to his introductory video. There is also a 26 minute video on styling a Yamadori Pine. There is supposed to be a new video every other week.

Think of it as "Mirai Light" - there is a single camera angle so no zooms or overhead detail shots, and there is no interaction with users. Perhaps that will change over time. For now it is free though he does ask for donations if that's something you want to do.

Enjoy. If someone posted this information before and I missed it, please ignore :)

Bonsai University

Oops, just browsed through the first full length video and there are some close-up shots that I had forgotten about. Even better!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have enjoyed everything Bjorn has put out there so far - the paid videos from Bonsai Empire, the old Vlogs and Bonsai videos from Japan, the podcast, and now Bonsai U. So I say it with love when I say don't get your expectations too high that he will meet the video deadlines he assigns himself. :D

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have enjoyed everything Bjorn has put out there so far - the paid videos from Bonsai Empire, the old Vlogs and Bonsai videos from Japan, the podcast, and now Bonsai U. So I say it with love when I say don't get your expectations too high that he will meet the video deadlines he assigns himself. :D
Agree. I really enjoyed the series he put out during his apprenticeship.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Nice to see more folks entering the “quality instructional video” space. That being said, I was a bit underwhelmed with bonsai empires paid offering. I will give “bonsai U” a view though, just to see.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I enjoyed them and look forward to more. I'd send a few bucks if it keeps going. I have listened to his podcasts too. Thumbs up from me.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was a bit underwhelmed with bonsai empires paid offering.

Tell me more about that. I haven't run into too many people who did the paid thing on Bonsai Empire and I always like another opinion. I will say that when I first got into those videos they weren't terribly helpful for me as a beginner. I think Bjorn could have dumbed it down a bit more and made more lengthy videos on the basics. However, each time I come back to them after learning a bit more from other resources, I find that I learn a little something extra here and there. I was pretty happy with Bjorn's advanced course videos and the Deciduous Video series recently released. All of that being said, I have only sampled Mirai's free offerings. I think Ryan definitely goes into good and deep detail - I think though that mine and Ryans climates are quite a bit different that if I went in as a raw beginner, I might get myself into more trouble than good following some of his guidelines to the letter.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is awesome, excited to get off work and dig in

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice to see more folks entering the “quality instructional video” space. That being said, I was a bit underwhelmed with bonsai empires paid offering. I will give “bonsai U” a view though, just to see.
I agreee that the bonsai empire paid "classes" are not worth the money.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was watching some of his you tube videos last night, and I have to say they are very well done, and very enjoyable to watch.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agreee that the bonsai empire paid "classes" are not worth the money.
That’s an interesting observation.

What leads you to this evaluation? Can you share the specific ”classes” you think have issues?

cheers
DSD sends

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That’s an interesting observation.

What leads you to this evaluation? Can you share the specific ”classes” you think have issues?

cheers
DSD sends
There were some good nuggets of wisdom, but nothing you couldn't find in your basic books and through You Tube. I also was frustrated with the more "advanced" classes because they would show the professional working on the tree, and occasionally going through their thought process, but then about half the video was musical montages with video of attractive trees and/or tree work but without any instruction or explanation. They have a bunch of different classes / videos and some are better than others, but I was disappointed more often than educated. For a total beginner it may be worth it, but for someone with a couple years of making the effort to learn through videos, books and clubs, I don't think it's worth it.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That’s fair. When I took all the courses as a total beginner and they really helped me understand some of the basics, appreciate the complexity of working bonsai and to come to grips with how much there is to learn. Then I just had to get out and do it. I still go back and listen to some segments over.

That said, Bjornis a good teacher and I’d recommend his initial courses to beginners up to advanced. The advanced folks can choose on their own!

The biggest issue I had in the initial courses was similar to what I hear you say, all the work was done on really nice stock, until some of the more advanced segments in later courses. Then the instructors worked on yamadori and spent an awful lot of time showing repetitive processes. Nothing was done on growing out form cuttings or nursery stock.

Yet that’s not where the pros make money?

cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom