Bonsai varieties for a balcony garden

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently moved to my new condo. The condo pretty good, well finished and well organized. I’ve had a small housewarming party too. One of my friends who came to the party gave me a suggestion of growing a garden on my balcony. So, I thought why not!
When I thought of garden, the first thing that came to my mind was roses. But, then I wanted to have something different, something green. That’s how came to Bonsai. I searched for some good bonsai plants I can grow in my balcony garden, and I am thinking of temperate varieties like elm, maple, juniper, plum, or azalea. Are there any other good bonsai for me? Please let me know if there are other plants that would good in a balcony garden.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Congratulations on the new place. You'll get much better suggestions if you tell us about your location, climate, and what kind of sunlight your balcony gets.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your list is a good one.
Elm,maple or juniper are all great picks.
I don't know much about the other 2 except that the plum is a pest attractor and azaleas grow flowers. Maybe I might know more but since they can't live here I won't talk them up or down too much.
The other three though are staples of bonsai worldwide. Lots of information out there on them. Can be found just about anywhere. They are easy to operate. And most importantly beautiful trees can be had from them.

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What floor are you on? The higher up the more wind becomes a threat/influence. High up, broadleaf species will be beaten up pretty bad.

Top Bottom