Bonsai Vault forum

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Bonsai Vault forum (http://bonsaivaultforum.freeforums.org/portal.php) is accepting new members again. There's a new administrator; I believe Tom Brown simply got burned out when it came to bonsai and the Internet.

Not trying to take anyone away from any other fora, but I think Bonsai Vault is especially good for tropicals; that's largely due to the participation of people like Jerry Meislik and Carl Rosner.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I just registered and boy was that a major pain. There were so many ads I had to keep clicking 'Pass' on.

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
It seriously took me 3 years to become a registered member. Some of it was due to using a gmail account, but boy registration is a pain for that forum.

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Painful or not, its one of the best website/community if you need help on indoor growing and tropical bonsai.:cool:

Eric

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
A lot of ads and minor irritations have crept in since Tom Brown got burned out. I believe Ash Barnes, the new Admin, intends to address them all once he learns the ropes.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I haven't been there in a while but I'll give it another try.

Colorado Slim

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't been in a while, but it's the only place I'd ever had a 1 on 1 with Meislik (although I was quite out of my element). I don't remember registration being a problem?!?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I just tried posting a new thread....4 times. Still not working. Oh well, the forum doesn't appear to be busy anyway.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Speaking of Tom Brown, is North Star Bonsai still up and running? I went to the website but it appears to be no longer in service.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
The website is down, but I talked to Tom a few weeks ago by phone (after the website was no longer available.) Apparently the store itself is still there (my impression.) Tom said he's focusing more now on his own trees and on teaching. I inferred from things he went on to say that he got burned out with the Internet, period.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
You are right. Very frustrating. But treebeards55 says it will be worth it. Particularly wanted to check our the forum on tropicals.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Guilty as charged: yes, I do believe it's worth it. :)

I think every forum has a few differences in its procedures; you might want to make sure you're following the steps as outlined. I just heard about someone who tried to post on BV without completing the registration first. Probably didn't realize what he was doing.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I just tried posting another topic with no success. Guess it wasn't meant to be.....

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
That's all right, Ryan . . . you've got us.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That's all right, Ryan . . . you've got us.

Very true Jim. After looking around on Bonsai Vault it doesn't appear to be as active as any other forum. For example, the "Most users ever online" for that site is about 30, compared to this sites 893. I dunno.

Ashbarns

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Steve. It sure has been a long time a-wasting since our last Admin. left us in limbo. But I'm glad to say now that our membership is rising daily which means that with fresh blood we are getting more input and more importantly new input.

It is a wonderful concept that we can freely visit other bonsai sites without feeling we are somehow being disloyal to our home base. I frequently visit other bonsai sites and get enjoyment from learning new ideas. I don't think we ever stop learning and if anyone thinks they know the lot then please write a book. I want to extend thanks to the head nut for allowing space on his site for this news.

Cheers

Ash Barns

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Ryan, aren't you now registered on Bonsai Vault, and able to post? I've seen your thread there about your sumo shohin willow-leaf.

Or is that another Ryan from Gainesville, VA?

Top Bottom