Bonsai virtual - cool new tool I found

Reaction score
USDA Zone
N/A
So I came by an iPad compliments of work, and I found a cool piece of free software called SketchBookX. I take a photo of a tree and then superimpose a drawing over that in layers, then remove the original tree. Cool way to fiddle with prospective designs. Here's an example using an olive.

image.png

Next up draw on the trunk using the different tools. It's easy when you can see it as you draw. Do this on a different layer to the photo.....

image.png

Then you can make the photo layer invisible, and you just see the drawing........

image.png

Finally, add in your ideas for foliage to give yourself something to work towards. You can do this on the third layer so that it does not interfere with the other layers. The cool thing about this is that the trunk is realistic in shape, and it' sometimes difficult for us non artists to get right by drawing without the benefit of a tracing from a photo.

image.jpeg

Anyway, just thought I'd throw this out there for you folks. Not to bad coming from the third world huh Sorce!

Cheers,

Andrew

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Is this Sketchbook Express? I am not an Apple / iPhone cult member and am curious if this is the same app on Android? Not very well rated by users if it is.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
N/A
Yip. That's it. Other users may expect more from it than I do. Does what I need just fine. Of course I must clarify that I have not chosen this software over another, and in fact I have not tried any others either, so there may very well be better options out there.

Here is another example using a dodgy late night photo of another olive.....

image.png

I'm not after a high quality image as I don't think it is necessary for this type of visualization, so for me the tool is fine. Now, if only I could find an excuse to buy a smart stylus!!!!

image.png

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Yip.
View attachment 88261

I'm not after a high quality image as I don't think it is necessary for this type of visualization, so for me the tool is fine. Now, if only I could find an excuse to buy a smart stylus!!!!

View attachment 88262

Ah, thanks. I know with Samsung Note 5, the stylus is pretty advanced without additional costs. I will give this a look for working out virts and plans for future styling ideas.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
How do you super impose a drawing?

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
..... @bleumeon

They just bumped this.....

Sorce
Thanks for the tag! I've been messing with my phone trying to do what is depicted here. Probably need to get one of those soft nubs you can use on screens though. My finger just covers the line and I can't see what I'm tracing.

Top Bottom