Bonsai Watering Can Student Project!

NewbieDesigner

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey Everyone! I'm a current student majoring in design and I'm doing a project for my class to design a watering can for Bonsai trees. I need to gather research for my project and have to interview 3 people who work in a office and own a Bonsai Tree. Is there anybody here that can help me out? Wouldn't take that much time at all. All I need is to ask you is a couple question and some basic info like age, how long you've had Bonsai tree, the watering can that you use. Could I also need pictures(don't need your face just hands) so i can create a story board of the steps taken in the watering of a Bonsai tree. Maybe like 8 pics, Where do you store your watering can , filling it up with water, watering the Bonsai, You holding on to the handle, How close you get to the Bonsai when watering it? Thanks

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know if you have ever seen water world and how he waters the tomato plant in the beginning. ..?

That's how I roll !

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Righteously bitchin...NewbieDesigner.

20160113_211329.jpg

Don't wanna use my can!

But there are Probly folks here willing to help!

You might find yourself a little different when you leave.....but good different!

Feel free to share your other projects!

Awesome !

Sorce

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would love to know how you came up with your idea for your project. Why a bonsai watering can? Do you or someone in your family grow bonsai. It sounds like a good project I just wonder where it came from.

Also what is the goal of your project? Make it lighter, better flow better esthetics? This is all just curiosity on my part.

Welcome to the nut house.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why does it need to be someone that works in an office?

Pretend Bonsai!

Very true....if it is....you should tell your teacher this is not politically correct!

Office bonsai are dead!

Sorce

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pretend Bonsai!

Office bonsai are dead!

Sorce

I keep three tropical bonsai in my office over the winter in a bright, SE facing window. They don't grow much, but they survive. As far as watering in the office setting, I use a pump sprayer so I can carefully control where the water goes.

For the OP, I use a cheap plastic watering can at home but it's messy. And the squirrels chew on it when I leave it outside. For the office, precise control of where the water goes, and a sufficient capacity to water all my plants with one fill (maybe half gallon?) are most important.

Brian

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm with you BB9.

(office rant deleted)

Sorce

NewbieDesigner

Seedling
Reaction score
I would love to know how you came up with your idea for your project. Why a bonsai watering can? Do you or someone in your family grow bonsai. It sounds like a good project I just wonder where it came from.

Also what is the goal of your project? Make it lighter, better flow better esthetics? This is all just curiosity on my part.

Welcome to the nut house.

Thanks of responding.

For my class, I had to pick a user and environment to design a watering can for. I did't want to pick a watering for somebody who waters plants indoors. I have always like Bonsai and really would like to have one day. I was curious if there were watering cans just for Bonsai trees.
So I picked somebody who owns a Bonsai and waters it an office or small space.

My goal for this project is to improve and design a watering can which is better than what is currently available. That solves a problem. Let's say you have a watering can that you currently use, maybe the spout isn't the best, its not comfortable in your hand. Issues like that is what I want to know from everyone.

My end goal would be to making it lighter, look cool, water flow better. comfortable for the hand.

NewbieDesigner

Seedling
Reaction score
I keep three tropical bonsai in my office over the winter in a bright, SE facing window. They don't grow much, but they survive. As far as watering in the office setting, I use a pump sprayer so I can carefully control where the water goes.

For the OP, I use a cheap plastic watering can at home but it's messy. And the squirrels chew on it when I leave it outside. For the office, precise control of where the water goes, and a sufficient capacity to water all my plants with one fill (maybe half gallon?) are most important.

Brian
Thanks for your input Brain, I didn't know about the pump sprayer. I'll have to look that up.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting, You can use a pump sprayer for Bonsai trees?
You can use almost anything that delivers water. I don't have indoor trees but for outside I use a dollar store watering wand on the shower setting. Literally hose them down.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting, You can use a pump sprayer for Bonsai trees?
Pump sprayers are ok, but you are looking for more flow than that. You want enough flow that the water pulls air through your medium as it drains, but not enough that you flush your soil out of the pot.

I think the most important feature is water delivery and balance. When a can takes two hands to pour because it is not balanced.. That sucks!

Also I like copper because it is antibacterial. Make sure it showers upward.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My end goal would be to making it lighter, look cool, water flow better. comfortable for the hand

Remember those mouthwashes that you used to squeeze, and it would hold a "shot" in the top that you could swig off the bottle?

That would be nice....

Maybe somehow incorporating the pump pressure behind it.....

But giving you just enough for one tree, before moving to the next...

There would be less spill, a more accurate dose or 2, and less chance of spilling by overwatering it and having it destroy a days work on the desk.

I could appreciate that.....as I have this problem indoors.....

How to make a rosette fine enough for coverage, in small enough doses for control....but without having to go back and full up again and again.

Because the pressure behind a full bottle of my above pic is just too much.

I like your Project....

More if it's copper.

Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My end goal would be to making it lighter, look cool, water flow better. comfortable for the hand.

I use two different inexpensive small cans and one expensive large one. The expensive one is a galvanized made by Haws - They are considered to be some of the best out there. It is heavy and being galvanized I cannot let fertilizer with micro-nutrients sit in it as it eats the finish. That makes the expensive one less useful indoors. Now I did look up a plastic one they make in 1 or 2 pint size, to me it seems the most practical for what you describe. http://www.hawswateringcans.com/indoorplastic.asp Might even be I get a couple as our indoor plants are taking over a room for the Winter. Check it out - That Rosette comes off and honest it would be difficult to use indoors anyways...
Make yours light, durable and well balanced, preferably of recycled materials ;)

Grimmy

Top Bottom