Bonsai weeping willow potting

Elisa1969

Seed
Reaction score
I got 3 stalks of a Bonsai Weeping willow a couple of weeks ago at which time I placed them in water. They are growing roots and some leaves but still only in water. I am going to put them in pots soon. They are about 6 inches tall. Should they each be in their own planters or can they be planted together?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stalker!

Welcome to Crazy!

There is a horticulture aspect, where they should be kept apart.
And a design aspect, where they may be put together.

Chances are, you should stalk another stalk from a yard willow that is 6inches in diameter, with interesting movement and some taper, and plant it.

You will...OH!....still have to deal with the willows will to die.

Get an Elm and style it to look like a willow!

Sorce

Elisa1969

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks. I actually got them off Amazon. That arrived with no roots or anything. I don’t have an actual tree. And they are the dwarfs I believe their called.. I’m a newbie at “stalking” 😀

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks. I actually got them off Amazon. That arrived with no roots or anything. I don’t have an actual tree. And they are the dwarfs I believe their called.. I’m a newbie at “stalking” 😀
Be very skeptical. Amazon is rife with scams on willows.

There are three common species: weeping, curly, and austree hybrid.

Being any kind of a dwarf species is highly unlikely. They do exist, but you have to buy from a reputable dealer, such as evergreen garden works, which does have actual dwarf willows.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I got 3 stalks of a Bonsai Weeping willow a couple of weeks ago at which time I placed them in water. They are growing roots and some leaves but still only in water. I am going to put them in pots soon. They are about 6 inches tall. Should they each be in their own planters or can they be planted together?
You can plant together or separate. Trees with their own space tend to grow better and faster but if you need to conserve space they will still grow in the same container.
A larger container will give better growth rates as will better feed and watering.
If planted together it is a simple matter to cut the roots to get them apart after a year or 2 if you want. Willow roots can be hacked fearlessly so no problem taking them apart if planted in a single pot for a while.

Elisa1969

Seed
Reaction score
Be very skeptical. Amazon is rife with scams on willows.

There are three common species: weeping, curly, and austree hybrid.

Being any kind of a dwarf species is highly unlikely. They do exist, but you have to buy from a reputable dealer, such as evergreen garden works, which does have actual dwarf willows.
Thanks. I wouldn’t really know how to tell what exactly they are or if they are the real thing or not. I guess I will see what happens as it grows.

Top Bottom