Bonsai wire holder?

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey everyone, I haven't see a thread on this subject sense I've been here so I figured I'd throw it out there. I'm still very new to bonsai and for the life of me I can't seem to keep my wire in order without it looking like a crossed fishing line. Does anyone have a bonsai wire holder that you can share? I've only seen them go for a hundred dollars and up. Is there any methods to store your bonsai wire to keep it from looking like a mess? And please, if you have the urge to respond to this to just make a jerk comment bravo, now go away. Like I said, there's holders out there but they are pretty pricey. So anyone who has a good way to keep their wire in good order this thread is for you. Please respond and share your ideas. Thanks for your time.
-Jason

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow, that is disgustingly well organized. =) Pretty much the complete opposite of my bonsai work space right now.

By necessity. It's a one-car garage, so if you want to get a car in there you are kind of forced to keep things in their place.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
My stuff is in an automotive style toolbox, on wheels....tools and wire....and some pots too.
I keep all my ferts, spray bottles, daconil, neem oil, and such on a 4 tier steel shop cart, which is also on wheels.

I really like the pegboard wall. I could do that, but I need to make my whole work space better first.
Very nice.

I've also seen some nice homemade wire caddies out there....maybe someone who has built one will chime in.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Lol my wire is a mess too
I created a workspace but never worked a tree there i always take m inside and put them on the dining table o.0

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I can't seem to keep my wire in order without it looking like a crossed fishing line.

Check out the way @JudyB uses that caddy in the thread I posted. If you need one I will pick one up at DG. Been using the same since I downsized only purple, sitting by the back door right now :p

Grimmy

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hmmmmm...
Some pretty good ideas out there, and thanks for sharing them.
Now which one to build is the question. LOL...

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I keep each size coil in its own labeled zip lock bag and keep them in a square milk crate. I have one for copper wire and another for aluminum. I can keep all the sizes of wire I use and a plastic coffee can for the scraps, waste wire in there.

I like that method because I can just grab the appropriate crate and go anywhere to wire.

I don have a dedicated work bench space and I often do wiring when watching TV.

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are sold by Cass Bonsai in Edwardsville Illinois. The green and white spooler is manufactured by my company. Each spool holds a Kilo.View attachment 160562
Hey Stickroot, I appreciate the info. You said about the ones from your company... How much do they run and if I was going to buy one, do I shoot your a message? Again I appreciate the help.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'm contemplating using the second adjustable table that I have, and add hooks underneath so the wire will hang.
However now I'm thinking otherwise because it'll probably be in the way when styling. LOL...

Soooo... I'll probably end-up building a wooden holder of some sort.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
And then I just store them in a plastic trug that has a handle... one side for tools, one side for wire.

LMAO - That it what I was referring to:p I have a similar one in purple and offered to pick one up for Jayson. You say trug, I say tote, but you my friend are correct! :)

Grimmy

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I really like that idea too, nice and simple.
Thank you for sharing it JudyB.

Top Bottom