bonsai wire

vbakatare

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'm new to bonsai, but i'm familiar with the different sizing. I have some wire that I started off with, but would like to buy more. Does anyone have recommendations in where to buy them in larger rolls? Or if anyone has worked with any alternative wires?

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Aluminum or copper? Kimura Bonsai in northridge has aluminum.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
either one, not sure if it's a preference or if some trees don't like a certain kind of wire.

Traditionally aluminum is used for deciduous and copper for evergreen.

Deciduous tends to be easier to bend so doesn't necessarily need the holding strength of the more expensive copper wire. TBH I tend to use copper for almost everything because I'd just rather not worry about it!

vbakatare

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

Deciduous tends to be easier to bend so doesn't necessarily need the holding strength of the more expensive copper wire. TBH I tend to use copper for almost everything because I'd just rather not worry about it!
you make a fair point! I might head in that direction as well

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If cost is important, or you are new to bonsai, or both then stick with aluminum. Copper is a lot more expensive and in the hands of a new person a waste of time and money. You need a variety of sizes like, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0mm and either 3.5, 4.0 or 4.5 depending upon your tastes in trees. Bigger tree= bigger wire. You can have one 500gm spool of each size for $13 and you'll be educated by the time you need to buy it again. If you like to have status symbols, then buy the copper.

Last edited:

vbakatare

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
If cost is important, or you are new to bonsai, or both then stick with aluminum. Copper is a lot more expensive and in the hands of a new person a waste of time and money. You need a variety of sizes like, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0mm and either 3.5, 4.0 or 4.5 depending upon your tastes in trees. Bigger tree= bigger wire. You can have one 500gm spool of each size for $13 and you'll be educated by the time you need to buy it again. If you like to have status symbols, then buy the copper.
gotcha. lots to think about

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Actually, heavy deciduous branches are usually too stiff to bend. Aluminum is used on deciduous to wire the soft new shoots. And they lignify quickly, so the wire will be removed quickly. It might stay on a month or two at most. The lignified branch will stay that way for life.

Conifers have sappy wood that will take a bend, but it also takes longer for the bend to set. Copper works better to hold the branch in place for a long time while the branch sets up in it’s new position. But, conifers being conifers, the branch might start to revert back, and will need rewiring. And again, copper works better.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
any wire on deciduous can bite into a tree fast, especially moving here into autumn when limbs like to fatten up
watch and remove promptly😳?

if can securely anchor a piece of some airplane/fish tank/whatever tubing in a way that approximates the bend you want, this will prolong or help negate the rapidness of wire biting into a deciduous branch and potentially allow for the bending (or breaking) of larger branches
5390DE53-C922-4481-BD28-6DCE0641C787.jpeg

Top Bottom