Bonsai Work Based on Lunar Events

Lionheart

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone perform work on trees relative to the current phase of the moon, or lunar events generally?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Some people do.
I don't. I handle a lot of plants, and they don't seem to care much. I stick to what I see and base my practices on that.
Weather forecast is more of a factor to me than the phase of the moon.
After a good rain shower, everything is growing faster at a pretty predictable rate. I like that predictability.

I'm not saying its wrong, I just have another preference.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cutting lumber- dark night, height of the dry season, and low
tide.

Makes wood very dry. Termites no like.

Defoliate at the height of the Dry Season and the tree will have
problems growing new buds.

Also the longer the tree takes to bud, usually means way
more buds.

For us it is more - humidity.
Good Day
Anthony

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Timing of work on my trees is usually based on when I have time, between everything else, there is no time to worry about the damn moon too.

Really, the effect of the moons gravity on a tree is small, very small. But some people swear by it.

I do what I can when I can, often testing the ''ideal time frame'' because I keep running out of time.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do to a certain extent, but not that it keeps me from doing what I need to do. For instance, I know it's easier to dig a hole during the waning phase. If a hole needs digging during the waxing phase I know it's going to be harder so I bring along a digging bar. In bonsai related, if I want to collect a tree, I try to get it done during the waning phase, but if I have to do it during a waxing moon I take extra precautions at the dig and a little more attention in the immediate aftercare. Waxing: more stress, waning: less stress, because trees are more actively growing during the waxing phase and more relaxed during the waning. I try to get my trimming done during the waning phase and grow out during the waxing. As far as seeds go: I always start my seeds a few days before the new moon, right at the end of the waning phase and the beginning of the more energetic waxing. Starting later I lose more sprouts.
I make walking sticks, from yew wood and ash mostly. If you cut a green stick during a waxing moon it will check and twist and split as it dries. Cut the same stick during the waning phase and it will cure out straight and true and never check and split. There's something there about creating jin and working with the deadwood on your trees.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently decided the end of the Waxing Gibbous is the BEST time (lunarly) to repot.

This way you get the entire waning phase to regrow roots, which I have documented certainly in my Root Talk thread.

I would say this will increase your probability of success by 10%.

Repotting a stressed (hacked to hell) tree at the waning moon will kill it of course.

And of course, repotting a vigorous tree at any time is likely safe.

Expensive trees, "emergency" repots, these things will appreciate the timing.

There really is no way to determine true "success" using the moon, since the "it depends" of other things can still be so great....number one being a human's understanding of tree health. Which can only be gauged with time, and tree watching.

I Don't believe gravity....well . I Don't believe in gravity period...FLAT EARTH....
So I don't believe gravity is what effects the trees.

It is more like a woman's period.

The Earth's cycles.

A woman can get pregnant at any time, but certain times are Better. Its like that.

I may, if life allows, repot a blue rug juniper at every Waning moon over the season, because I surely don't believe spring is the best time to repot.

A truer statement would be ,
Repotting at the end of the waxing Gibbous is the best time to repot.

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently decided the end of the Waxing Gibbous is the BEST time (lunarly) to repot.

This way you get the entire waning phase to regrow roots, which I have documented certainly in my Root Talk thread.

I would say this will increase your probability of success by 10%.

Repotting a stressed (hacked to hell) tree at the waning moon will kill it of course.

And of course, repotting a vigorous tree at any time is likely safe.

Expensive trees, "emergency" repots, these things will appreciate the timing.

There really is no way to determine true "success" using the moon, since the "it depends" of other things can still be so great....number one being a human's understanding of tree health. Which can only be gauged with time, and tree watching.

I Don't believe gravity....well . I Don't believe in gravity period...FLAT EARTH....
So I don't believe gravity is what effects the trees.

It is more like a woman's period.

The Earth's cycles.

A woman can get pregnant at any time, but certain times are Better. Its like that.

I may, if life allows, repot a blue rug juniper at every Waning moon over the season, because I surely don't believe spring is the best time to repot.

A truer statement would be ,
Repotting at the end of the waxing Gibbous is the best time to repot.

Sorce
It is MOST DEFINITELY NOT LIKE A WOMAN'S PERIOD. This kind of hocus pocus oogy boogy claptrap will slow you down and mess up your care. The best time to repot a tree DOES NOT depend on how full the freaking moon is at the time. It depends on the kind of care, your skill and the tree's health GOING INTO THE PROCESS---PERIOD. The Horned Moon God, Jesus' robes, Lent, Festivus, or Samhain, Beltaine or whatever have nothing to do with much of anything, unless, of course, you begin believing that you have to wait until the next Sabbath or a crescent moon to repot a tree that really needs it...

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I seem to have other things to worry about. But I definitely enjoy seeing the moon and wondering about it....it’s a little addictive really.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I do know a lot of farmers that plant seed by the moon phases. Certain phases are supposedly better for root vegetables and others better for fruit/leaf.

I know at least in Italy they bottle wine even on the moon and tide. Saying it will affect the taste....and they've been making wine for a couple 1000yrs.

D

Deleted member 21616

Does anyone perform work on trees relative to the current phase of the moon, or lunar events generally?

There is a growing percentage of winemakers who base everything from growing, harvesting, and fermentation on what are referred to as biodynamic practices, which includes lunar cycles.

Because most vineyards make all of their wine of a given batch in the same way (i.e. they aren't doing half with the moon, half not) it is difficult to assess outcomes. I make wine at home with my father-in-law, and we do base our interventions on the lunar cycle. But I just follow his lead, and he just does what he learned in Italy from his parents and relatives.

Dennis Vojtilla happens to be a winemaker, and is great at growing deciduous bonsai! If you can, I'd reach out to him for his opinion. Most of the American wine making is happening in his neck of the woods anyways. I can't remember if he mentions biodynamic practices in his interview with Ryan Neil for Assymetry Podcast, but they do discuss grape vines at length from what i recall

edit: as opposed to lunar cycles, some people just do certain work at night (i.e. when the moon is out), and this does appear to alter the taste of wine (think sugar levels, etc.). Anita Kuhnel's Moulin-A-Vent comes to mind. So you can add that to your question if you like - lunar cycles, and day-time vs. night time

Last edited by a moderator:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really, FARMERS ALMANACS are being cited as backup? 1,000 year old Italian also planted their vineyards IN THE PATH OF AN ACTIVE VOLCANO for crying out loud. Just because something is old doesn't make it right. Almanacs are notorious for being vague and silly.

Most of the "scientific" sites devoted to this particular brand of crappola are SELLING books, almanacs, etc.

Whatever happened to critical thinking or for that matter plain old horse sense? ;-) And along those lines, just because the moon affects the enormous bodies of water on earth DOES NOT correlate to affecting smaller things. Oceans are freaking MASSIVE and DENSE. Two properties that individual plants lack entirely...

This is along the same lines of creeping romanticized "natural is best" thinking that gave us the "organic" fertilizers are better than "chemical." Plants don't care. Dying in childbirth is also "natural" Doesn't make it "preferable."

https://www.howplantswork.com/2009/07/20/does-the-moon-affect-plants/
https://www.gardenmyths.com/planting-moon-calendars/

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whatever happened to critical thinking or for that matter plain old horse sense?

Sorce Hence!

Those sites are just as "official" as the ones claiming it true.

Each side can have a ridiculous, unthought-out argument.....and be right...just depends who yells louder.

I only believe it because of the 50 or so times I've seen roots out my baskets...only 2 times was during a waxing phase.

Rain? It would be closer to half. I always look and never Don't check.

If the moon does effect the rain....
It would be a bit indirect...
But still true in my world.

I am going to convince you with facts by the end of the season.

Sorce

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Really, FARMERS ALMANACS are being cited as backup? 1,000 year old Italian also planted their vineyards IN THE PATH OF AN ACTIVE VOLCANO for crying out loud. Just because something is old doesn't make it right. Almanacs are notorious for being vague and silly.

Most of the "scientific" sites devoted to this particular brand of crappola are SELLING books, almanacs, etc.

Whatever happened to critical thinking or for that matter plain old horse sense? ;-) And along those lines, just because the moon affects the enormous bodies of water on earth DOES NOT correlate to affecting smaller things. Oceans are freaking MASSIVE and DENSE. Two properties that individual plants lack entirely...

https://www.howplantswork.com/2009/07/20/does-the-moon-affect-plants/
https://www.gardenmyths.com/planting-moon-calendars/

I have no idea about it being true or not. But while I was stationed over in Italy, over the 19yrs I lived there I questioned about that and asked people who made wine. My wife's father had mentioned it to me, and I assumed he learned from his father. What he told me was that depending when you bottle would have an affect on the taste.....in terms of it being flat or frizzante. Also the type of grape, what type of casks, etc.... It's really an art making wine.

I know there's old wise tales, but some small things do and can affect others. Such as more babies being born on full moons.....while this is not "scientifically proven to be true" it has been proven that mothers do come into labor "more often" based on certain barometric pressures.

The moon and sun have a very important role on life here on Earth. A disruption from either or can make a difference on how things live or grow.

I'm not taking sides here, just saying the moon and sun, light and dark does affect life.

D

Deleted member 21616

@rockm for your consideration (starts around 45 seconds in):

Also, I think it's important to keep in mind that memory and psychology play a significant role in 'taste'. It follows that a wine can in fact taste differently given what the taster believes or knows about its fabrication. The same would apply to tomatoes in your garden.

As for bonsai, we know that psychology plays as important a role in vision as well. It is far from unrealistic to think that one could literally see their trees as doing better when they apply certain practices, even if there has been no change to the tree.

In short, you are right: the lunar cycle is unlikely to affect the plant itself. But the lunar cycle may sincerely affect one's true experience of the plant.

Top Bottom