Bonsai work from 2021

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought I would post some of the things I was up to in 2021. I can't wait to get started on some things in 2022, spring always has an aire of possibility. Mostly I would like to have a spot on the internet to see what I was up to from year to year. Also, open to any thoughts or opinions. Here is a little photo dump from some of my trees in 2021:
wC2021jpg.jpg
DSC_0793.JPG
larix 2.jpeg
DSC_1572.JPG
DSC_1438.JPG
DSC_0929.JPG

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Love the rock composition with the larch. Those Cedars a masterclass. Especially that big one, what a beast.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love the rock composition with the larch. Those Cedars a masterclass. Especially that big one, what a beast.
Thanks so much, I like the rock larch but I wonder about changing it up, something about it I dont like. Thanks for the thoughts though!

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks so much, I like the rock larch but I wonder about changing it up, something about it I dont like. Thanks for the thoughts though!

I think it's the planting angle of the trees. Move them to the right a bit perhaps? Still a killer presentation

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Cool trees! Out of curiosity, the tall skinny one with the growth on the bottom (4th pic), what is your end goal with that one? I haven't seen a tree styled like that and it looks super interesting.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it's the planting angle of the trees. Move them to the right a bit perhaps? Still a killer presentation
I can balance the look of this as I wire it for the first time this spring. By moving the branches to the right it will bring some of the "visual weight" to the right as well and Im hoping that I will see a better future for it. If not, I am open to taking the trees off and trying different trees on this.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool trees! Out of curiosity, the tall skinny one with the growth on the bottom (4th pic), what is your end goal with that one? I haven't seen a tree styled like that and it looks super interesting.
Thanks, honestly I like this one as an interesting feature in my garden. Not necessarily a show tree although I bet it would be a conversation piece if I could transport it. I don’t have any particular goal except to keep every bit of the deadwood. Here is a pic of my garden.
2C795CB2-7C9E-44AA-A276-B062D3BE6B8F.jpeg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Thanks, honestly I like this one as an interesting feature in my garden. Not necessarily a show tree although I bet it would be a conversation piece if I could transport it. I don’t have any particular goal except to keep every bit of the deadwood. Here is a pic of my garden.
View attachment 427365
Very nice garden and trees.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 427365

It's come a LONG way from tossing your trees on the back porch!! Looks great, amazing w/little bit of "raking"..... :D :D :D :D :D :D

Material looking top-notch as always, much respect. Can't bad-mouth your Thujas, if I only I could find some like yours!:cool:

Great spot!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's come a LONG way from tossing your trees on the back porch!! Looks great, amazing w/little bit of "raking"..... :D :D :D :D :D :D

Material looking top-notch as always, much respect. Can't bad-mouth your Thujas, if I only I could find some like yours!:cool:

Great spot!
dude, thats so cool that you remember that I had my trees on the back porch. If you ever are in Northern Michigan and want to swing by please do!

Bosco Seitzer

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice Thuja(s) or cedars maybe. I find lots of larch in Northern MN bogs but I never see collectible cedars any tips where to find them? I have looked around lakeshores with no luck.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice Thuja(s) or cedars maybe. I find lots of larch in Northern MN bogs but I never see collectible cedars any tips where to find them? I have looked around lakeshores with no luck.
Thank you, around me Thuja grow in bogs including some nice ones. Do you have Thuja in bogs but you can't find nice ones? Here in northern Michigan you can find good Thuja in bogs but I like to look in really steep areas. Areas that are too steep to have ever been logged and steep enough to create character.

Bosco Seitzer

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bogs I have seen dont have them, I see large fully grown examples around and supported by lakes but I have only seen full grown mature plants and one time I found a 6" seedling.

Thujas in my experience grow very slow so I believe its all about what you find rather than what you create. I did however find one at a club auction that was collected in 1996 as a seedling and trained since.

The longer I have been into this hobby the more I want to work with native trees and our northern climate makes it challenging but worthwhile

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bogs I have seen dont have them, I see large fully grown examples around and supported by lakes but I have only seen full grown mature plants and one time I found a 6" seedling.

Thujas in my experience grow very slow so I believe its all about what you find rather than what you create. I did however find one at a club auction that was collected in 1996 as a seedling and trained since.

The longer I have been into this hobby the more I want to work with native trees and our northern climate makes it challenging but worthwhile
In my experience Thuja grow quick. Look in harsh and beaten spots were trees can hardly survive.

Top Bottom