Bonsai Worthy?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was watching a video about a woodfire down there, I'd look yonder, something strewn about even, broken, would be perfect for this.

Morce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The best thing about this is the contrast between the ugly Roots which aren't really ugly and what can be a lovely little flower show.

That pot is too different, adding a third element that doesn't compliment either.

Besides don't pot it yet.

I wouldn't put another something "pretty" under it, especially not something with dollar store makeup and a gas station wig.

Hunt those woodfire kilns for interesting chunks of broken vessels.

I hope you didn't pot it yet!

Sorce

Eye_Bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
The best thing about this is the contrast between the ugly Roots which aren't really ugly and what can be a lovely little flower show.

That pot is too different, adding a third element that doesn't compliment either.

Besides don't pot it yet.

I wouldn't put another something "pretty" under it, especially not something with dollar store makeup and a gas station wig.

Hunt those woodfire kilns for interesting chunks of broken vessels.

I hope you didn't pot it yet!

Sorce
Thank you, didn't pot it yet!

Eye_Bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Found another pot... Though I personally like the one on the right.

I will talk to @Mellow Mullet before I do anything with reporting.

Attachments

• 20210321_094955.jpg
    20210321_094955.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20210321_095002.jpg
    20210321_095002.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 78

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know about these kinds of mass market bonsai pots, but a number of ceramic flower pots I've purchased have the drip tray glued on. They're often glued in such a way the drip tray does absolutely nothing! The glue blocks the drain into the tray :(

You might check if the attached drip tray on the pot you like is attached with hot glue. If so, you'd be much better off removing it. You can still set the pot on it if you like the look, but you want to make sure the pot can drain freely!

I've had good success baking those kinds of pots to 250F in the oven for a few minutes. That softens the glue enough that you can usually pull it off. Don't go too hot! You don't want to burn the glue. You want to soften it so that you can separate the tray.

Not all pots are glued that way...but hopefully yours is.

Eye_Bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I don't know about these kinds of mass market bonsai pots, but a number of ceramic flower pots I've purchased have the drip tray glued on. They're often glued in such a way the drip tray does absolutely nothing! The glue blocks the drain into the tray :(

You might check if the attached drip tray on the pot you like is attached with hot glue. If so, you'd be much better off removing it. You can still set the pot on it if you like the look, but you want to make sure the pot can drain freely!

I've had good success baking those kinds of pots to 250F in the oven for a few minutes. That softens the glue enough that you can usually pull it off. Don't go too hot! You don't want to burn the glue. You want to soften it so that you can separate the tray.

Both of the pots trays are connected with clay, I think they are handmade, but I'm not sure

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm only doing a couple bonsai groups .. to talk more about trees. I go unto Facebook and hit the group tab. This popped up in auctions. I scrolled past auctions. I don't need anything...but did open to get a better image to share here.

Amazing what a nice pot does.
FB_IMG_1616373668215.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'm only doing a couple bonsai groups .. to talk more about trees. I go unto Facebook and hit the group tab. This popped up in auctions. I scrolled past auctions. I don't need anything...but did open to get a better image to share here.

Amazing what a nice pot does.
View attachment 362682
Lol, I just saw that and immediately thought of you!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There ya go!

Just make sure you chip that saucer part off, you don't need it long term, at the very most it will be useful only for catching drips after you water the soil thoroughly.
Boo Hiss. It's a houseplant bonsai and that saucer is perfectly helpful.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Boo Hiss. The pot & saucer are fine. Not every tree has to be kept at the Emperor's standards. I see the OP has found another, finer pot which is fine, too. But imposing superficial standards on every new kid drives new people away from bonsai. Make it easy to start bonsai, not difficult. In time, the standards go up. Do you buy your 7 year old T-ball child a Louisville Slugger 40 oz bat?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Boo Hiss. The pot & saucer are fine. Not every tree has to be kept at the Emperor's standards. I see the OP has found another, finer pot which is fine, too. But imposing superficial standards on every new kid drives new people away from bonsai. Make it easy to start bonsai, not difficult. In time, the standards go up. Do you buy your 7 year old T-ball child a Louisville Slugger 40 oz bat?
Their post was informative...even saying they use similar pots. Apparently it's a pet peave of yours...to read into an informative post and find negative that wasn't there.

Top Bottom