Bonsai901's 6 yr JBP contest entry

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you to Bonsai Nut for coming up with an idea to help expand the knowledge and help build confidence of many of us newbies.
I ordered my seeds last night from myseeds.co.
Unlike most I don't have much room on my apartment balcony, so I only ordered 100 (fingers crossed that there are a few good ones).
This will be my first from seed, so I am excited about the possibilities.
Unrelated to the contest; I also ordered some Acer P. seeds for the wifey.

Let the fun begin.

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My seeds finally arrived yesterday after the wonderful USPS decided to keep me in suspense for a few days longer than expected.
Unfortunately it looks like I only got the 100 I ordered, as opposed to them being generous like they were to so many others I have seen posting.
Now I can impatiently wait for new years day...

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Unfortunately life kept me from starting any sooner, but tonight I am starting the soaking for the contest and my Acer P.'s

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The new house has kept me busy and not able to keep up with my updates.
Kept them in the fridge for 3 weeks and then planted them with Brussel's Bonsai Mix in a covered seed starter tray by an East facing window in the garage.
3.5 weeks later, not a single seed has popped.
Not sure what I am doing wrong, but this is not a great start for the contest :mad:

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
The new house has kept me busy and not able to keep up with my updates.
Kept them in the fridge for 3 weeks and then planted them with Brussel's Bonsai Mix in a covered seed starter tray by an East facing window in the garage.
3.5 weeks later, not a single seed has popped.
Not sure what I am doing wrong, but this is not a great start for the contest :mad:

what are temps like? it may be to cold still.

But dont feel bad I watered a flat for about a month and a half before i realized i never even planted the seeds in the flat. I completely forgot about them so they all died in the ziploc they were germinating in.

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
lol, I couldn't restrain from laughing a lot!
I would probably do THE SAME given the opportunity!
:)
yeah just found the ziploc bag this weekend with all the dead seeds. Thats when i figured out why the seeds never sprouted, I was blaming the vendor and it was my dumb ass fault all along.:eek::rolleyes:

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
what are temps like? it may be to cold still.

But dont feel bad I watered a flat for about a month and a half before i realized i never even planted the seeds in the flat. I completely forgot about them so they all died in the ziploc they were germinating in.
Outside temps have been between 90 and 30...normal Memphis spring weather.
I have them in the garage to stay a more stable temp probably between 50 and 70.

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It seems like my seedlings have stopped growing.
I thought I would be doing cuttings by now, but mine look terrible compared to the others I have been seeing here. They have been outside full time since we stopped getting cold nights, they stay in a bright but shaded spot. Any ideas?

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have mine in full summer heat. 90 degrees, 100 % humidity. Straight sun from 8 till about 5pm. We havent had a cloud in the sky for 2 months until this week. My seedlings grew like crazy. Check out my contest thread. I raised some from seed to cuttings in like 3 weeks.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
make sure they dont dry out. they can go dry for half a day or so. i usually water mine before sun up, every to every other day. I have actually had a hard time killing them. The leftovers are still growing even with alot of neglect, completely drying out, lots of water, but they still get tons of sun. Hell i have cuttings that i through out in the yard since i ran out of pots during the cutting process that have rooted laying on top of clay dirt, with no hormone or even water. These are in the shade though. Seems like they are indestructible. I lost 1 cutting within about 3 days out of about 150 that i made. I even had birds pull up my cuttings, move them and drop in other pots and they still rooted. crazy. LOTS OF FULL SUN and you will be good.

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
The second set of needles has started on some of them I can see. You should be able to try the cutting method on a few of those to be sure but you may just be getting to the point for cuttings.

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Still a couple with green showing so you are not done yet.
I think you have time to plant again this year if you wanted to.

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Still a couple with green showing so you are not done yet.
I think you have time to plant again this year if you wanted to.
The hits just keep coming right now, I wouldn't dare try another round.
I have been seriously considering giving some of my trees to my club just to make sure they have a good home.

Top Bottom