Bonsaiathon 2019 - February 23-24 Los Angeles (THIS WEEKEND)

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I remember this show, it was the last time we had the bonsaiathon before covid disrupted it the last two years!

Well, we are back this year, and it will be held the first weekend of April, so looking forward selling some trees and seeing my bonsai community once again!! Who is coming from the nutters?
Surprised I haven’t seen anything else on here about it. I’m planning on going, my wife is watching the kids and giving me the day on Sunday to check it out. I’m very new and never been, but hoping to buy a pot and a new tree maybe. I have no idea what to expect, If I have a budget of $200-$300 is that possible?

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Surprised I haven’t seen anything else on here about it. I’m planning on going, my wife is watching the kids and giving me the day on Sunday to check it out. I’m very new and never been, but hoping to buy a pot and a new tree maybe. I have no idea what to expect, If I have a budget of $200-$300 is that possible?

Sure, if you dont expect something too crazy.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Come by our booth, our name is Legacy Cork Oaks, it will be I and my father, Guy and Barry, hope to see you there.

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Come by our booth, our name is Legacy Cork Oaks, it will be I and my father, Guy and Barry, hope to see you there.
I'll stop by for sure! My name is Chris. Save a couple cool trees for Sunday pretty please 😉. I've been looking to get both a cork oak and olive to add to my little collection.

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
In addition to vendors, there will be an auction. Below is the link with info and pictures of trees from the GSBF collection that will be auctioned. I expect there will e more than pictured here.
Really wish I could do Saturday, I love Peter's JBPs and would love to catch that demo. Maybe next year!

I'm a very long way from buying any, but out of curiosity, how much do the developed trees like the ones in the pictures go for at auction? I know it probably depends on a number of factors but are you talking a few thousand $'s?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In addition to vendors, there will be an auction. Below is the link with info and pictures of trees from the GSBF collection that will be auctioned. I expect there will e more than pictured here.

View attachment 426044View attachment 426045View attachment 426046View attachment 426047View attachment 426048
The Sierra Juniper posted looks like a very interesting piece to develop. Value very dependant on live vein location and degree of interest. None visible from the posted side. It would be interesting to get an idea of the current value these trees bring at auction. Perhaps someone will be able to post results for some, just out of interest. It is good to have a current perspective on fair market value for trees. Would love to attend but not in the cards for this year! Oregon next month and California has to wait until November.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Really wish I could do Saturday, I love Peter's JBPs and would love to catch that demo. Maybe next year!

I'm a very long way from buying any, but out of curiosity, how much do the developed trees like the ones in the pictures go for at auction? I know it probably depends on a number of factors but are you talking a few thousand $'s?
I'll stop by for sure! My name is Chris. Save a couple cool trees for Sunday pretty please 😉. I've been looking to get both a cork oak and olive to add to my little collection.
I have both of those and some really nice ones at that, see you on Sunday Chris!

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know it probably depends on a number of factors but are you talking a few thousand $'s?
I don’t have any info sell prices at previous auctions. But the auction goes to support the non-profit Golden State Bonsai Federation (GSBF) which supports California clubs, puts on conventions and maintains several regional collections. In 2020, GSBF gave the Huntington Library and Garden a check for $25,000 from the bonsai-a-thon total fundraising.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This weekend looks to be great, nice weather and no rain in the forecast! For those that are coming to the event, here is a list of the species of trees we will be selling.
Junipers (Nana Procumbens, Utah, and Shimpaku)
Cork Oak
JBP
Olive
These make-up the main bulk of our inventory, with a few one-off species as well. Can't wait to see everyone there, see you soon!

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This weekend looks to be great, nice weather and no rain in the forecast! For those that are coming to the event, here is a list of the species of trees we will be selling.
Junipers (Nana Procumbens, Utah, and Shimpaku)
Cork Oak
JBP
Olive
These make-up the main bulk of our inventory, with a few one-off species as well. Can't wait to see everyone there, see you soon!
I'll be there on Sunday and will drop by and say hi and check out your trees. I bought a Shimpaku from you about a year and a half ago that is doing well.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Well, it was an awesome show, sold over 90 trees and even sold one to Tommy Lee, so cool he loves bonsai! Can't wait to next year!!
IMG_2844.jpgIMG_2845.jpg
Yeah and that double trunk JBP was 450, a freaking steal, but that is what we like to do, make people happy like Tommy, look at grin.

Top Bottom