Bonsainoob88 5 year azalea competition entry

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hi all here is my entry for the 5 year competition, all be it a feeble entry , it's the taking part that counts right ? šŸ˜

Attachments

• 291799-844d04eaa545160538145de43e8b6bfd.jpg
    291799-844d04eaa545160538145de43e8b6bfd.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 20200625_215229.jpg
    20200625_215229.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 108
  • 20200625_215220.jpg
    20200625_215220.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 109

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
All right, thatā€™s the stuff! Good luck on your design.
Do you happen to know what cultivar your entry is?
Cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Got that, do you know which cultivar, or type?

Not being picky and itā€™s not totally necessary, but it will really help you know the specific growth characteristics of that particular cultivar of Japonica azalea. This will aid in your design and cultivation practices.

best
DSD sends

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Got that, do you know which cultivar, or type?

Not being picky and itā€™s not totally necessary, but it will really help you know the specific growth characteristics of that particular cultivar of Japonica azalea. This will aid in your design and cultivation practices.

best
DSD sends
Cant find much info on it dont know if "conny" is the name I should be googling.

Attachments

• 20200628_201452.jpg
    20200628_201452.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 103

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
What a unique structure!!!

*rubs hands together*

ā€œYesss this will do NICELYā€

Seriously though.. iā€™m very envious of this trees movement.. the character of the very plant screams ā€œI am an individual, feast your eyes!ā€

I will be watching... zealously.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome to the contest. Be sure to seal those cuts and post progression pics of your entry.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Ok so I just had my 1st tough lesson in patience. I think I killed my azalea entry . It was doing nicely in the pot which I put into a bigger planter . I decided it wasnt good enough . So I bare rooted the plant , made up a potting mix then repotted and placed on my shelf . Unfortunately the leaves were still very fragile and I think the sun has killed it off this week as it's looking frazzled to say the least .
I am actually not to fussed about it and think it was a good lesson learned . Certainly know what not to be doing in the future. I'm sure I seen sorce say something about knowing when to shut the burner off , well now I know how to not cook my azaleas in future with regards to repotting and pruning hard in a short space of time . So there i think it is, my first plant murdered through over caring for it . Goes to show you can post on this site all day every day , take advice from the pros. But sometimes the hard way is the best way in my case .

Attachments

• 20200806_170104.jpg
    20200806_170104.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 77

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry. Thatā€™s a tough lesson to learn. Bonsai is first and foremost about the trees health, then all the fancy stuff.

Anyways donā€™t give up the ship! I encourage you to select another azalea with a good form and try again.

Better still, get a couple, like I did, so you have a back up!šŸ˜‰

Best
DSD sends
(@Pitoon has this potential eventuality in the rules.)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Sorry. Thatā€™s a tough lesson to learn. Bonsai is first and foremost about the trees health, then all the fancy stuff.

Anyways donā€™t give up the ship! I encourage you to select another azalea with a good form and try again.

Better still, get a couple, like I did, so you have a back up!šŸ˜‰

Best
DSD sends
(@Pitoon has this potential eventuality in the rules.)
I have another 4 šŸ¤£

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It might still be alive, even though those leaves are toast.

You are not the only one where this happens. This competition is compiling some nice evidence that after a hard prune, azaleas backbud well. But azaleas also are very susceptible to drying out. All leaves gone so no shading of the trunks. And the new shoots losing a lot of moisture. A chopped azalea cannot be put in full sun during summer, without this being a possible outcome.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If it IS deceased, Iā€™m sorry.
tough lesson to learn. Bonsai is first and foremost about the trees health, then all the fancy stuff.

Yes INDEED! ...lots of us are being ā€œeducatedā€ in this throughout the competition. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

But I still wouldā€™nt give up on him
It might still be alive

Gotta believe!.... like Tinkerbell...

šŸ‘šŸ½

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You are welcomed to resubmit a new entry if your original entry dies. Just read the rules fully and start off with a fresh untouched plant.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Spring is here and your azalea could be blooming (depending on your location) or starting to leaf out with this seasonā€™s flushā€¦ā€¦itā€™s time for updates!

I would also like to add at this time we have 3 prizes to award. Many thanks to @Forsoothe! and @Deep Sea Diver for donating. I am also donating a prize as well.

If you are no longer interested in continuing in the Azalea Contest, please let me know so we can close your thread, thanks.

Top Bottom