BonsaiNut 3.0

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I actually liked the old look & feel. If it's not changing back to that style I'll adapt, but not sure how I feel about this.

I am going to be bringing some of the little personality touches back. For example, maple leaves as the icons on the forum listing, etc. Some things are difficult to bring back without breaking the site in some other way. For example, half of the site traffic is now via cell phones, with tablets also making up a significant percentage. I have to design the site to not only work with a 4K PC monitor like I have at home, but also with tablets and cell phones. Believe it or not, when I work on the site now I have two PC's (with different browsers running) as well as a tablet and a cell phone so that I can check my changes in all kinds of different formats.

That said, I am not trying to change the site, versus make it a little easier to work with. I have had a bit of a learning curve the last week myself just configuring the new software and coding custom features. I will definitely continue to work to make the site friendlier - and true to its roots.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
applause to you sir, we do appreciate it, not many I can converse with about little trees around here right now, this is a great place to do that! Ill get some of those donations sent over this season!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
On my pad (which has more horizontal pixels in portrait) it is also just like landscape on my phone. Adaptive web adjusts things based on pixel width so stuff doesn't either run off the screen or force screen resizing (smallification ?) to show the whole width.

I don't know where @Bonsai Nut finds the time to read all this stuff, let alone keep tweeking things to make us ?

The web site is currently set up for four different responsive formats based on pixel width of the display. Content will first rearrange itself, and then smallify :) For example, the site logo is full size in the larger formats, but then will shrink in the narrower formats. The background will disappear. Columns will stack, and then modules will disappear to be placed into the navigation bar.

I am not done with all the formatting because it requires a lot of testing. I tend to focus on the PC wide or full format first, just because it is easiest... and then as you get narrower and narrower you have to make trade-offs.

Good news is that cell phones have much better displays today than even 10 years ago, so the trade-offs aren't quite as bad.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm getting thumbnails in the header.

1516858863559.png

They are active links to the posts from which they came (but the url is one that has me not logged in).

Chrome in win10.

Sumpin' ain't right. o_O

The attachment list appeared once I pasted the screen capture.

Attachments

• 1516858865810.png
    1516858865810.png
    234.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 1516858868005.png
    1516858868005.png
    234.5 KB · Views: 3

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow! Photos load fast now. Super fast compared to the previous version. Thanks!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Bonsai Nut
I have a question,
Is it so that if you follow a topic and it goes to the next page with (new)posts you dont recieve a notification anymore of new messages in that topic ?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Bonsai Nut
I have a question,
Is it so that if you follow a topic and it goes to the next page with (new)posts you dont recieve a notification anymore of new messages in that topic ?
Might it be that email notices are sent out once or twice daily, say, and you come back to BNut before the time the email is sent?

For example, lets say the email notifications are sent at 9:00 pm. There were new posts, but you found them when you came to BNut at 7:00pm. You would not get any notification if there were no posts to your watched threads between 7:00 and 9:00 pm. Then there may be new posts after 9:00 pm and into the next day - you would only get an email notification if you stayed away 'all' of the next day.

I imagine it works something like this.

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
Might it be that email notices are sent out once or twice daily, say, and you come back to BNut before the time the email is sent?

For example, lets say the email notifications are sent at 9:00 pm. There were new posts, but you found them when you came to BNut at 7:00pm. You would not get any notification if there were no posts to your watched threads between 7:00 and 9:00 pm. Then there may be new posts after 9:00 pm and into the next day - you would only get an email notification if you stayed away 'all' of the next day.

I imagine it works something like this.
I think he is referring to the alert button at the top of the bage(bell icon). It used to have a number there as soon as someone posted in a thread you were following to indicate action in a watched thread. Now it doesn't seem to work on all watched threads but rather if I haven't been to the thread in a few days I don't get the notification anymore.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think he is referring to the alert button at the top of the bage(bell icon). It used to have a number there as soon as someone posted in a thread you were following to indicate action in a watched thread. Now it doesn't seem to work on all watched threads but rather if I haven't been to the thread in a few days I don't get the notification anymore.
I've never had such a problem. This post it right there in my alerts (already!)

1517176861795.png

Reaction score
There are some threads I follow I don't get notifications. It seems random.

Top Bottom