bonsaioutlet.com

bunjinji

Seed
Reaction score
Had an interesting experience with this vendor....

I placed an order for a pot on the morning of Monday March 19. Later that morning, I received a confusing email from the company (see below) advertising a 15% discount on pots, with a coupon code that, depending on where in the ad you looked, would expire either at 3pm on that day......March 19......or at 3pm on April 19. So, at about noon on March 19, I sent them an email asking to please apply the coupon code to my order. Here's the response I received:

"Thank you so much for your recent order placed with us. Unfortunately, the coupon code “POTS2018” has expired and can no longer be used. We did change our current coupon code offered on our website today. I know when we create new codes, it often will make the previous code inactive. I apologize for any inconvenience."

I wrote back showing how in reality the code had not expired , but they never replied and shipped the pot at full price.

Bizarre behavior......and a dishonorable sales practice, in my opinion.

1521726165062.png

ENDS Monday April 19th - Coupon Code "POTS2018" gets you 15% Off all Pots, Soil & Repotting Accessories

Pots & The Coupon Code
that Loves Them - END at 3pm EST TODAY - March 19th)

After Monday April 19th all pots, soil and repotting accessories go back up to their regularly scheduled prices, so if you love pots, re-potting and not spending full price, TODAY is your day.​

And don't forget to bring your Coupon Code...​

POTS2018​

(C) Copyright - Bonsai Outlet 2018
If you do not wish to receive any further email from us, please unsubscribe

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
Well as the email states that the code expires in April then they have to honour it. However as you had already placed the order at full price, they don't have to honour it for that order but any future orders you place.

bunjinji

Seed
Reaction score
Technically, maybe so. However, it was within like an hour of my placing the order and I could easily have cancelled it. The honest and smart thing for the vendor to have done was to honor the offer. Extremely poor branding for the company.

bunjinji

Seed
Reaction score
Seems bonsaioutlet.com is shares the mailing address of New England Bonsai. Must be the same outfit. Disappointing.

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Who knows, online bonsai is pretty iffy.

Bonsaioutlet never came off as a scam but many sellers do have those "convenient errors"

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I would chalk this up to disorganization/poor communication more than shadiness. For example, there will not be a "Monday April 19th" this year.

I would call them (they have a toll free number listed) and see if you can't get them to make things right in lieu of you taking advantage of their "hassle free" return policy.

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
And to clarify, when I say "make things right," I mean "keep a customer happy," since you willingly placed the order at full price, they have no obligation to give you the coupon price unless you order another pot.

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Seems bonsaioutlet.com is shares the mailing address of New England Bonsai. Must be the same outfit. Disappointing.

Owners of New England Bonsai sold property and business to bonsaioutlet last year

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Owners of New England Bonsai sold property and business to bonsaioutlet last year

I had issues with a tree sold prior to the sale of the New England Bonsai business. I feel...that Ashley was fare in handling a satisfactory solution to that prior transaction. He could have not handled it at all. But he did...

That said...I online shop a lot. If the code isn't placed in the checkout...then its usually to late. Usually the sale is by code on many sites. If buyer slips they do not add in the sale offer.

Its weird of the email add...but a code needs applied before they bill ones account. Usually.

When you made the purchase...was you happy with the purchase price? I am sorry you didn't get the sale offer...but...I would like to say...first hand...Ashley the owner of both stores now was an upstanding guy...on a tree I could have been in the hole over.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
sorry this happened to you. But as Cadillactaste says, if you don't apply the code at checkout, it is usually too late. Most of these systems are automated. In any case, I have bought tools and occasionally wire from them without a problem.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well as the email states that the code expires in April then they have to honour it. However as you had already placed the order at full price, they don't have to honour it for that order but any future orders you place.
BALONEY. Buyer called and had ordered BEFORE 3PM Eastern ON 19th March before expiration. Even if that was not honored the one beginning at 3 PM ending a month later should have been honored;). Dishonest business and will not patronize!

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
This is where social media is your friend. Send them an email stating that you have posted to this site with their response to your email. You would like to receive the 15% discount as the coupon promised and if give you will be glad to post that they have great customer service etc. if they refuse, tell them you will be just as glad to post their response. And thanks for posting this. I got on their email list somehow and have been agog at of some prices.

bunjinji

Seed
Reaction score
Here's the latest. The folks at bonsaioutlet.com have credited me the 15% discount. See below. Seems like some wires had been crossed. Good people to deal with.....

"I’m so sorry I did not get back to you, it looks like your email got marked as answered in our inbox for some reason. I will absolutely apply the 15% off discount for you. Again, I’m so sorry your message went unnoticed. I have applied the 15% off to your order, and refunded $41.25.

Thank you so much for your order. We truly appreciate your business.

Enjoy the rest of your day!

Take care,
Michelle
Bonsai Outlet CustomerService

PattyB

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As a new poster on this forum, I am interested in this thread as I too have recently purchased from Bonsai outlet. I will start my own thread with questions concerning my plant. I’ve asked my questions with Bonsai outlet’s customers service and the answer given is more confusing than helpful. I’ve been lurking here for most of a year reading and learning from all of you experienced growers.

I stumbled across this particular thread as it pertains to this vendor. I want to add, Brussel’s Bonsai and Bonsai Outlet are the same vendor. Their websites have conflicting information in regards to care of my plant purchase. Sorry for dragging up an older thread. I purchased a Chinese Elm and hope to overwinter it successfully. I know, I know...

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I want to add, Brussel’s Bonsai and Bonsai Outlet are the same vendor.
Pretty sure this is not the case. Brussel’s does allow others to resell their trees on other sites, like Flowers.com, etc., but Brussel’s Bonsai is definitely not the same as Bonsai Outlet.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I ordered a pot from them. 2 days later I got an email saying the pot was already sold..

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I ordered a pot from them. 2 days later I got an email saying the pot was already sold..

Just a general comment about situations like this.

I have been on the receiving end of "product has already been sold" errors. In one case, it was for a tree that I bought from a vendor, put in my shopping cart, and then went to look for other trees. After a couple of minutes, I went to check out, and the product had been sold - out of my shopping basket.

I'm not going to even call this "advanced technology" because in my opinion it should be the barest low level of technology that you need to adopt as an online vendor. If you don't keep real-time inventory, please don't sell ANYTHING online. If you don't give someone a 15 minute grace period on products in an active online shopping basket, please don't sell ANYTHING online. Yes I'm talking to you @Bonsai Mirai
:)

Top Bottom