Bonsaisite forums down again?

lennard

Seedling
Reaction score
Oh no, Bonsaisite is down...Yeah, Bonsaisite is up and running again......Oh no, Bonsaisite is down again...................

It seems that Bonsaisite is down .......again: "This account has been suspended"

Anyone getting this message?

Lennard

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Since I'm puter challenged, has anyone complied a list of all the Bonsai websites, I visit about four and post on three. I am curious how many there are.

keep it green,
Harry

lennard

Seedling
Reaction score
Yeah, but they usually bounce back....

And if they don't bounce back one day? I would hate to see all that information going to waste like BT.

Are there any bonsai forums on the net which are owned by the members, like an internet bonsaiklub?

I was just thinking that it is too risky to let one guy be responsible for such valuable information.

Lennard

CooperT

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I love lmgtfy.com! :-D

I'm also getting that message for BS...

On a related note, does anyone know the situation/status of BT? I know how big of a PITA it is to migrate forums from one technology to another... Curious what is causing BT such a long downtime...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
And if they don't bounce back one day? I would hate to see all that information going to waste like BT.

Are there any bonsai forums on the net which are owned by the members, like an internet bonsaiklub?

I was just thinking that it is too risky to let one guy be responsible for such valuable information.

Lennard

Both AoB and KoB are owned by the people who volunteer as editors/moderators on the forums. The list of editors is dynamic, changing from time to time as some people move on and others come in.

Interesting- Bonsaisite forums name came up first.

Yes, Bsite has a strong ranking on the search engines and they are always leading in the search results for such terms as bonsai, bonsai forums, bonsai trees, etc.

Will

lennard

Seedling
Reaction score
Both AoB and KoB are owned by the people who volunteer as editors/moderators on the forums. The list of editors is dynamic, changing from time to time as some people move on and others come in.
Will

But if the "legal" owner dies, does not pay the bill or decide he has enough of bonsai, can they stop him from pulling the plug? (No personal reference to any real owner here- I like both sites.)

Lennard

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But if the "legal" owner dies, does not pay the bill or decide he has enough of bonsai, can they stop him from pulling the plug? (No personal reference to any real owner here- I like both sites.)

There are no "single owners."

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yeah, once again, the site is down. It gets kind of annoying the amount of times it happens.

lennard

Seedling
Reaction score
Can't the owners of the mentioned sites just use the other forums to keep the members up to date of what is happening- I think it would be the right thing to do?

Maybe they can learn from Will- we always know what is going on at the Art of Bonsai site. Keep up the good work, Will!

Lennard

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Lennard, but I can't take all the credit, we have a fantastic team of editors there that make it all happen.

Will

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It is really starting to annoy me the amount of times the site goes down.

subnet_rx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree that one person owning a site contributed to by an entire community is a concerning issue, but I haven't seen one bonsai site yet that does it correctly. Most that I have looked into have one person that is responsible. They all have volunteers and other people that help make the rules and keep the site running, but when the bill comes due, one person pays it. It should really be set up under a non-profit organization or a legal partnership.

I wouldn't recommend putting information that should last on a permanent basis on a forum anyway. Put it in an article fomat with a creative commons license or equivalent so that other people can freely copy it as long as they give you credit. That way, it's not lost, and there's not one site that hordes a lot of information. No single point of failure.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It is really starting to annoy me the amount of times the site goes down.

Ryan,

Why should this annoy you?....... Are you financially vested in this site?

What people sometimes forget is that when a site is started, its done by one person or a group of people that invest time and money into it. When that site gets really big storage can be a huge issue and in some cases become expensive depending who hosts it. At some point those owners may decide to take other actions such as temporarily close the site, what till the month is over to let the storage and bandwidth monthly cycle renew...i.e. ...BT, or shut it down all together.

Then you have the people who are Administrators, Editors and/or Moderators who invest themselves deeply to bring you a platform to better your art. Think these people might get tired of it as well or want a break from the financial and time demands. Its a lot of work to run a forum/site and it amazes me that so many do so willingly to help better the art.

So unless your making a donation to this site or have some other stake in it, why would you feel that this site should be up and running for your own edification? Don't get annoyed...look for other alternatives......there are many. Enjoy each site you visit and take what you can from them, nothing lasts forever.

A short list (listed alphabetically) of some of the ones I frequent that have good content and are unique in their own right.

AoB

Ausbonsai

Bonsaistudygroup

BonsaiVault

BonsaiNut

IBC

KoB

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Ryan,

Why should this annoy you?....... Are you financially vested in this site?

What people sometimes forget is that when a site is started, its done by one person or a group of people that invest time and money into it. When that site gets really big storage can be a huge issue and in some cases become expensive depending who hosts it. At some point those owners may decide to take other actions such as temporarily close the site, what till the month is over to let the storage and bandwidth monthly cycle renew...i.e. ...BT, or shut it down all together.

Then you have the people who are Administrators, Editors and/or Moderators who invest themselves deeply to bring you a platform to better your art. Think these people might get tired of it as well or want a break from the financial and time demands. Its a lot of work to run a forum/site and it amases me that so many do so willingly to help better the art.

So unless your making a donation to this site or have some other stake in it, why would you feel that this site should be up and running for your own edification? Don't get annoyed...look for other alternatives......there are many. Enjoy each site you visit and take what you can from them, nothing lasts forever.

A short list (listed alphabetically) of some of the ones I frequent that have good content and are unique in their own right.

AoB

Ausbonsai

Bonsaistudygroup

BonsaiVault

BonsaiNut

IBC

KoB

Thanks for the list, I ask for a compiled list and Will tells me to google it, then googles it for me. I didn't want all of them, just the better one's.........:D

keep it green,
Harry

Top Bottom