Book on collecting

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain the answer to this is no, but is there a how-to book on collecting? If would be nice to have a little info on tree physiology by species, where to find them, how to dig them, after care, etc. If Randy Knight and Ryan Neil wrote a book on collecting I would buy it. Of course that means I would collect my own trees instead of buying them from collectors...

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I think Nic Lenz's book has a bit of info on the topic.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Nick Lenz's book must be the most comprehensive and detailed book on collecting that I have ever encountered. It is excellent.

However, it focuses heavily on NEastern trees (probably 1/3rd of the book is about Larch and Arborvitae). But there is also a very decent chapter on RMJ.

Someone needs to write the west coast equivalent!

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I thought Andy Smith had, but maybe it's just that I've seen a lot of articles in various bonsai magazines.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I thought Andy Smith had, but maybe it's just that I've seen a lot of articles in various bonsai magazines.

Andy Smith does have a video, and I think there is a book as well. However, I have seen the video and it is excelent.

Mark D.

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yeah but Walter collects in Europe.

Does a sharp shovel in any other country dig as deep? :p

He has more on the philosophy, mechanics, and 'rules of thumb' for collecting than he does on anything that could be considered country specific... I found it to be quite the interesting and informative read.

Top Bottom