book recommendation

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
looking for a good referance kind of book full of techniques for myself and my almost 15 yo son.
good for a beginner to novice and beyond.

years ago i got a book from the library i believe it was called the bonsai workshop by i think herb gul.... or gus... something.
i remember it being (what i thought was) a good book-i'd like to find that again or if there are others that you guys could recommend more

thanks

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
I've heard many people recomend Bonsai: It's art, Science, History and Philosophy by Koreshoff Deborah.
Another one people recomended was: The Art of Bonsai: Creation, Care and Enjoyment by Yuji Yoshimura.
I was trying to get the first one but its' rather expensive, and no digital version of it exists as far as I know. The other one is more afordable and I have it in my library so I will read it sooner or later. I've read one of Harry Harringtons bonsai books (bonsai4me) which was pretty good. Many ilustrations and well written.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Here are a few others that I have on my shelf that are inexpensive and have good illustration, pictures and basic information.

The Bonsai Workshop ~ by Herb Gustafson

Bonsai Secrets ~ by Peter Chan

Bonsai w Japanese Maples ~ by Peter Adams

The Art of Flowering Bonsai ~ Peter Adam's

Shohin Bonsai, Majesty in Miniature ~ Morten Albek

Bonsai ~ Peter Warren

Also good are some eBooks and a good free wiring tutorial course by Colin Lewis on the Craftsy site.

Good luck.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've heard many people recomend Bonsai: It's art, Science, History and Philosophy by Koreshoff Deborah.

That'd be me! I love this book, and still use it on occasion. Can't say that about most of the others I have, so worth the $$. I also like a book by Dave Joyce, The Art of Natural Bonsai.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I bought The Complete book of Bonsai by Harry Tomlinson and love it. I found it on Amazon for like $15. It has lots of pictures and step by step examples of trimming and wiring. I think it was a good base knowledge book to get me started. The whole back is all about different trees and what it takes to propagate them.

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The Bonsai Workshop ~ by Herb Gustafson-this was the book i read,quite a few times when i started to get into bonsai a few years back.
i remember it had alot of info on every step of bonsai.

thanks all- it sounds like i'll get this first cuz i think my son can easily understand it lots of photos etc..,than the deborah koreshoff book- it has very high ratings sounds like a very detailed book,than a little down the road the john naka book(s)

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
The Bonsai Workshop ~ by Herb Gustafson-this was the book i read,quite a few times when i started to get into bonsai a few years back.
i remember it had alot of info on every step of bonsai.

One of the best for beginners. Also look for Sunset's "Bonsai," which for years WAS the best book for beginners (I think it is out of print).

thanks all- it sounds like i'll get this first cuz i think my son can easily understand it lots of photos etc..,than the deborah koreshoff book- it has very high ratings sounds like a very detailed book,than a little down the road the john naka book(s)

I'd recommend Koreshoff once you've gotten your feet wet. I know it is heresy around here, but I don't recommend Naka.

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Definitely agree with the Dave Joyce book. Luckily my library has it. Most libraries will let you borrow from other towns. Once I borrowed John Naka's book: it came from a library across the country.
I'm reading the Joyce book for the 2nd time now. Going to pick up the Korshoff book to keep. Found a used one for $20.

Top Bottom