Books...

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I'm a bookworm - love a good book!

Been looking for these two - seem impossible to find here in the UK. Anyone have one they're looking to sell?

I know the American bonsai society has the David De Groot, but they don't seem to ship oversees, and I'm sure postage would be extortionate if they did!

If not - any other suggestions welcome! I have Amy Liang's book and I love it, but more for inspiration (photos are gorgeous).

I also am aware John Naka's book are the top choice, but out of my price range unfortunately!

Attachments

• B1PRIN1.jpg
    B1PRIN1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 41RFDJ9SZTL.jpg
    41RFDJ9SZTL.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 48

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Youre right, those dont seem to be available in the UK.

There are some good ones that are available on Amazon UK.
These are two I am familiar with

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Youre right, those dont seem to be available in the UK.

There are some good ones that are available on Amazon UK.
These are two I am familiar with

Cheers for these! Will have a look.

Did actually just find the Koreshoff for £30 on Abe Books 👍🏻

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Stone Lantern Press will ship international. They have quite a collection of books available.

Also William Valavanis does ship books international

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Stone Lantern Press will ship international. They have quite a collection of books available.

Also William Valavanis does ship books international

Cheers for this Leo!

Unfortunately neither have the David De Groot - that's the one I've been really hoping to find. I know Stone Lantern did stock it but think it's no longer in print. Did manage to find the Koreshoff though 😊

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have both books. Both are top notch. The late Jim Lewis had me buy Koresoff over Naka. He said that for a newbie...it would be easier to grasp. Its got more in it for substance than most traditional books.

DeGroot...is sold out most everywhere. If you ever find one at auction it would be a good find. Hardcover is the second edition. Jim also had me wait for it to be released...as he had the first edition paperback...and felt the hardcover just had...more to it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have both books. Both are top notch. The late Jim Lewis had me buy Koresoff over Naka. He said that for a newbie...it would be easier to grasp. Its got more in it for substance than most traditional books.

DeGroot...is sold out most everywhere. If you ever find one at auction it would be a good find. Hardcover is the second edition. Jim also had me wait for it to be released...as he had the first edition paperback...and felt the hardcover just had...more to it.

Yea Ive got both the first and second edition and I would concur that the second edition has more to it.
The first edition was good and considered a bible of sorts when it came to design.
The second edition was not only an excellent followup but it improved on the first edition

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yea Ive got both the first and second edition and I would concur that the second edition has more to it.
Jim...somehow, seen it before released. I forget how he seen it. I would have to dig in past messages. But its irrelevant. As you concur...second edition is the best of the two.

I'm a book nerd as well...and Jim had a love of books. So I enjoyed our book talks.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score

Heard such good things about both - excited for the Koreshoff to arrive!

I think I'll be hard pushed to find Principles. I have found a place:

But it says they don't do international shipping. I've emailed to check anyway. Only other copy I've found is the paperback spiral bound earlier edition, and very pricey!

I'm curious - why would (what seems to be) a staple book go out of print?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

But it says they don't do international shipping. I've emailed to check anyway. Only other copy I've found is the paperback spiral bound earlier edition, and very pricey!

I would imagine they just are sold out...for the ones which were printed.

I know Jim said it's a book every bonsai person should own. But hold out for hardcover.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I would imagine they just are sold out...for the ones which were printed.

I know Jim said it's a book every bonsai person should own. But hold out for hardcover.
I'll keep looking! I do have a few other books - Amy Laing (absolutely love it but more for the gorgeous photos), Harry Tomlinson and Dan Barton. Latter two are good, but hoping for something with a bit more depth. Seems like the Koreshoff may be that!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I dont know what you are willing to spend, but if you had someone you could trust and vice versa, they could buy it for you and ship it to you.
A rough calculation of the shipping alone would be around $35-$40 USD plus the $31 or so to buy it and doesnt include the cost of shipping it from a seller to the buyer who could then send it to you.
That would be around $70 USD or 50 GBP total assuming the current exchange rate.

Last edited:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cheers for this Leo!

Unfortunately neither have the David De Groot - that's the one I've been really hoping to find. I know Stone Lantern did stock it but think it's no longer in print. Did manage to find the Koreshoff though 😊
If I were you, I would directly contact Mr. David De Groot. https://pnbca.com/project/david-degroot/
Good luck to you.
Thụ Thoại

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I dont know what you are willing to spend, but if you had someone you could trust and vice versa, they could buy it for you and ship it to you.
A rough calculation of the shipping alone would be around $35-$40 USD plus the $31 or so to buy it and doesnt include the cost of shipping it from a seller to the buyer who could then send it to you.
That would be around $70 USD or 50 GBP total assuming the current exchange rate.
Hadn't thought about that, good idea thank you. Would be quite an ask of someone though!

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Try giving Corin Tomlinson at Greenwood’s Bonsai a ring. I’m fairly sure I’ve seen the De Groot book on his stand at shows, he might have some copies for sale.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Try giving Corin Tomlinson at Greenwood’s Bonsai a ring. I’m fairly sure I’ve seen the De Groot book on his stand at shows, he might have some copies for sale.
Already tried him, none left unfortunately! Think he said he got them from Stone Lantern who no longer stock. But thanks for the suggestion 😊

Top Bottom