Books...

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Deborah Koreshoff wrote an awesome book and you will learn a lot from her. Her section on soil is really good, yet a little dated in that the more ‘modern soils’ aren’t covered, but no problem. You are likely getting up to speed on these by now.

David DeGroot’s book is top notch for technical design. He practices what he writes about too, that’s what makes his books so good. The trees at our museum really benefited from his care over the years!

There is another author who I love from his practical acumen out there that is Understanding Bonsai by Pieter Loubser, 1993 a South African artist. His first book impressed me compared to the many others I’ve read. ...No nonsense here’s the technique, and sometimes shows multiple variations.
I understand he has a Revised and Extended Edition 2006 out in the ether somewhere. I believe either would really help you on your voyage.

Cheers
DSD send

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Deborah Koreshoff wrote an awesome book and you will learn a lot from her. Her section on soil is really good, yet a little dated in that the more ‘modern soils’ aren’t covered, but no problem. You are likely getting up to speed on these by now.

David DeGroot’s book is top notch for technical design. He practices what he writes about too, that’s what makes his books so good. The trees at our museum really benefited from his care over the years!

There is another author who I love from his practical acumen out there that is Understanding Bonsai by Pieter Loubser, 1993 a South African artist. His first book impressed me compared to the many others I’ve read. ...No nonsense here’s the technique, and sometimes shows multiple variations.
I understand he has a Revised and Extended Edition 2006 out in the ether somewhere. I believe either would really help you on your voyage.

Cheers
DSD send
I've seen that outdated soil sections seems to be a common issues, but like you said there's plenty of info online about that. I actually just ordered soil - went for some akadama and a pre-made mix by Kaizen. Heard great things about it and a good option for a beginner like myself, easy to get lost and overwhelmed in the ins and outs of soil.

Yeah I like the idea of a book just about design, he seems to really know his stuff. Other books I have cover the care aspects, as does this forum! Thanks for this - will have a look at his book, it sounds great 👍🏻

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That’s great.

If you put the theory in Dave’s book into practice on your trees you will truly shine! 😎

Cheers
DSD sends

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
@Clorgan you can reach out to Mr. De Groot directly via Facebook. We were speaking about this just recently. He has about 10 copies left that he can sell. I think he may want to sell them in bulk, but check-in with him just to be sure. FYI he is considering producing a 2nd edition. I don't know how many years away that would be, if it ever happens at all.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Speaking of books, I have a copy of the Nick Lenz Bonsai from the Wild, that I'm planning on selling. If anyone here has interest before I put it up on FB, please message me! It's in excellent condition and is the expanded edition.

IMG_3373.jpgIMG_3374.jpgIMG_3375.jpgIMG_3377.jpg

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
@Clorgan you can reach out to Mr. De Groot directly via Facebook. We were speaking about this just recently. He has about 10 copies left that he can sell. I think he may want to sell them in bulk, but check-in with him just to be sure. FYI he is considering producing a 2nd edition. I don't know how many years away that would be, if it ever happens at all.
Great idea thanks, have messaged, hopefully he sees it! I won't hold out too much hope, but worth an ask!

If not, fingers crossed for the 2nd edition 🤞🏻

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Great idea thanks, have messaged, hopefully he sees it! I won't hold out too much hope, but worth an ask!

If not, fingers crossed for the 2nd edition 🤞🏻
I got an email from my sending correspondence to that link above in the post. They forwarded it to DeGroot. I'm sure he's going to be like...WHAT THE!?! As he gets tons of inquires...for his book all of a sudden. lol

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I got an email from my sending correspondence to that link above in the post. They forwarded it to DeGroot. I'm sure he's going to be like...WHAT THE!?! As he gets tons of inquires...for his book all of a sudden. lol
I got the same email, I think it's likely he'll be pretty creeped 😂 thanks for asking though, would be great if something comes of it!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Speaking of books, I have a copy of the Nick Lenz Bonsai from the Wild, that I'm planning on selling. If anyone here has interest before I put it up on FB, please message me! It's in excellent condition and is the expanded edition.

Someone here was looking for that book in the last month or so.....I dont remember who

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
KORESHOFF'S BOOK CHEAP!!!

Oh that is cheap! Thanks for that, but I already found that one, shipping is a while though, probably won't arrive for a few weeks.

Someone should snap that up!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Someone here was looking for that book in the last month or so.....I dont remember who
I was also looking for it...but, now that I have the Neagari JBP...I'm not sure I will add the larch... I may still reach out to see if the one has a neagari larch...but...I just don't know now...with a pine on my bench. So I'm less interested in purchasing the book. Maybe it was another though.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was also looking for it...but, now that I have the Neagari JBP...I'm not sure I will add the larch... I may still reach out to see if the one has a neagari larch...but...I just don't know now...with a pine on my bench. So I'm less interested in purchasing the book. Maybe it was another though.
Yea it wasnt you that posted a thread about it though.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yea it wasnt you that posted a thread about it though.
Gotcha... No, I don't think I created a thread. I did ask about one. Possibly it was a messenger conversation with Frank. I bet if @JudyB did a search she could find who was wanting one and let them know she has one for sale.

Top Bottom