Books

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Can anyone suggest books for p afra bonsai. Looking to learn more about how to work with them. Open to other resources also.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I don't think you really need a book. Don't water too much, cutoff what you don't like, throw the castoffs in some soil and grow a bunch more.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't think you really need a book. Don't water too much, cutoff what you don't like, throw the castoffs in some soil and grow a bunch more.
I'm wondering if I can start wiring and how to style this 1. As well as when to replant cuttings into a "forest" and wire.

Attachments

• 20220801_075507.jpg
    20220801_075507.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 12

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
P. afra is a succulent, so you can't really wire them (they don't have an internal skeleton of hard wood). They are best grown via the "clip and grow" method... which means you simply use sharp scissors to guide their growth and development.

The only trick you need to know about growing cuttings is to make sure you let your cutting wound dry out before you plant the cutting, otherwise you run the risk that the cutting will rot. So cut off branches you don't want, stack them in a pile somewhere, wait a few weeks, and then pot them up. It is exactly the opposite of what you would do with most other cuttings.

Top Bottom