Boreal Forrest Idea

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just caught up -- love the fact that the scale already fooled my eye, 'til I saw the dog! -- and this will be fun to watch through the seasons & years. 👍

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My thoughts on a mixed forest bonsai . Takes into account . The problems of different trees . The basic premise. Is pots that fit together . Therefore the tres can be grown in different soil water and light needs and then be put together for display . Always thought the symbol of ying and yang would be cool if you had 4 pots you could mix and natch the combination . A strip of moss or aggregate. To hide the barrier in the middle or make it appear as a stream .

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
My thoughts on a mixed forest bonsai . Takes into account . The problems of different trees . The basic premise. Is pots that fit together . Therefore the tres can be grown in different soil water and light needs and then be put together for display . Always thought the symbol of ying and yang would be cool if you had 4 pots you could mix and natch the combination . A strip of moss or aggregate. To hide the barrier in the middle or make it appear as a stream .
Thanks .. but they all grow in similar environments in a borreal forest and all have good mixture of akadama and pumice so the horticultural aspect I got. More so a representation with a big forest… it will evolve over time but they will always remain in same container.. prob closer together one’s literal roots develop more.. and more trees on the rock w seedling projects to replace or add in if needed.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks .. but they all grow in similar environments in a borreal forest and all have good mixture of akadama and pumice so the horticultural aspect I got. More so a representation with a big forest… it will evolve over time but they will always remain in same container.. prob closer together one’s literal roots develop more.. and more trees on the rock w seedling projects to replace or add in if needed.
I was not trying to change your direction or premise . Of your mixed forest idea . In fact I applaud what you are doing . Just thought I would mention it . As a alternative mainly for others following this thread . It opens up a lot of possibilities . After all first I would need a potter

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Entire section taken out from shade netting untethering and hitting against the trees due to high winds unexpected today .. the larches are even wilting so who knows if they’ll recover , I watered to see if it was wind dehydration and not damage from jostling roots. I think I’m going to just stick with Larch , Find spruce and hornbeam. I already have reserve spruce , hornbeam and larch to use.

Attachments

• 17477B59-1013-4DE5-9407-F0D32715B5C0.jpeg
    17477B59-1013-4DE5-9407-F0D32715B5C0.jpeg
    424.9 KB · Views: 73

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ok so everything that survived is doing well. I have new sets of hornbeams to replace in spring on the rock.. or I can use more larches .. I have 7 other larches in small containers that are nice , and a few that were their own bonsai or part of a group themselves I’ve been scavenging the bonsai community and my club. You can kinda make them out on my cart in the back of picture A8AA790A-CCD3-4F29-AACB-3F621E3E6443.jpeg

Attachments

• A198DAC4-772A-47E1-B06E-645556A98CBF.jpeg
    A198DAC4-772A-47E1-B06E-645556A98CBF.jpeg
    351.2 KB · Views: 56

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Buds on larch are set for next year. I was playing out possibilities for spring .. I’m gonna try and pull something better than this year this idea is not dead.
option A - to take out that hornbeam and put with its own group. Add more larch, alder and yellow birch.
option B- take out Hornbeam and out with own group , add larch and spruce. I have either white spruce, black hills spruce and black spruce as candidates
Option C. Remove lace rock and just put in larch , use lace rock for own composition.

65A53DCF-1EDE-420F-A212-B6E8625C8E4E.jpeg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm afraid option C would leave you without your original idea, but it might work out better in the long run.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry to hear that you lost some of these trees. Success is a poor teacher, keep at it!

For me, that rock is the wow factor that really engages me in this composition. I would be sad to see it go.
Even if you just get a small handful of trees up on the rock, I think it would look spectacular. You might think about securing them on to that rock excessively...and it might look ugly for a year, but once the roots get established you can remove any ugly tie-downs and enjoy it. Or for now, put some moss and some small understory type plants up there...that might be worth exploring.

waydeo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love this idea, sooo cool ! How about making a large trough out of something like hypertufa or aircrete with different compartments for different soils.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I wanna do a "Cold Swamp" planting. (They just call it wetland forest around here)

A "lil Wisco" scene... from the lake/bay shore... not inland.

Kanorin is absolutely right..

Success IS a terrible teacher....

His brother is WAY better.

Looking Good!

Keep pushing!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I love this idea, sooo cool ! How about making a large trough out of something like hypertufa or aircrete with different compartments for different soils.

AWESOME avatar!!

Rescue them "shiverin critters"!

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The forest will be dismantled in spring .. it was a tough decision however , I’d decided to use the lace rock for a white spruce planting using spruce I had further up. 5 spruce total The lace rock will be anchored to a mica round I have that’s holding my short leaf pine. The shortleaf pine is gonna get repotted in a grow pot or box to really push the growth.
The larch will be extracted to join 7 other larch in waiting , and will be going on a lace rock slab( I know it’s been done but it’s a safe bet and I will make it a cool composition). The alder and Yellow birch will be on their own , actually got good growth and they can be progressed as singular tree. The box will be used for another project hehe. This has been fun , perhaps one day I can retry but I’ve been too inspired by native species and rock compositions that Japanese bonsai and even ones in US and UK have used.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Respect. Just keep doing cool things and sharing please!
Thanks ! I will be making a bunch more stone plantings in spring. N if it wasn’t for the damn shade net that one day .. I wouldn’t have touched it. But alas one idea opens up to 3 more

Top Bottom