Bored Baby bending of a disposable oak

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For my own tracking in case this one survives:

Coastal Redwood indoors for the winter (year 3, 5 years old, still surviving and limps along under the lights) has mostly organic soil, and apparently an acorn snuck in last year. Been staring at it for a month and figured I’d bend it up a bit.
The things that are entertaining in winter...

Thinking northern red or northern pin oak.

Attachments

• 86F1908B-E895-4645-9171-BC205987CA47.jpeg
    86F1908B-E895-4645-9171-BC205987CA47.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 62
  • A274EBEB-7DAE-4F8B-8BDF-2C6C87F889BA.jpeg
    A274EBEB-7DAE-4F8B-8BDF-2C6C87F889BA.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 71
  • D6613E4D-B761-42B8-8721-26F2FBC846D6.jpeg
    D6613E4D-B761-42B8-8721-26F2FBC846D6.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 65

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Because it involves @grouper52 I feel it's OK to be quite poetic with this joke but since it's not really going to be ok to make this joke, no matter how poetic, I have to preface it with this paragraph that no one will really understand, which negates the caution, but makes for another great place to do, whatever it is that is happening.

That said....

@B-rad in GR are you blowing your chances to get into the Nationals? Or just ruffling feathers! Lol!

Ahem....

NICE!

Sorce

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Because it involves @grouper52 I feel it's OK to be quite poetic with this joke but since it's not really going to be ok to make this joke, no matter how poetic, I have to preface it with this paragraph that no one will really understand, which negates the caution, but makes for another great place to do, whatever it is that is happening.

That said....

@B-rad in GR are you blowing your chances to get into the Nationals? Or just ruffling feathers! Lol!

Ahem....

NICE!

Sorce
The ramifications of taking the risk are enormous. A lot on the line 😂

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

That said....

Ahem....

NICE!

Sorce

Any chance you can be a bit more obtuse, sorce - I was a bit uncomfortably close to thinking I understood what you were saying, as if some synapses were actually connecting of something! The times, they are a'changing! :)

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any chance you can be a bit more obtuse, sorce - I was a bit uncomfortably close to thinking I understood what you were saying, as if some synapses were actually connecting of something! The times, they are a'changing! :)

As one of my patients said to me, a few years ago, "The hands of my watch are the trees of time"..... He was making more sense after I increased his meds a bit .... LOL!

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
LOL!!! You remembered my saying that, you old devil!!! Glad the meds are working! I think mine, BTW, are due for some tweaking lately! I'm closing my practice again, and probably for good, maybe heading over to spend time in long retreat in some Buddhist temples in the mountains of Northern Thailand where the temperatures aren't so hot, or alternatively, perhaps, maybe going back to the Philippines if my quasi/ex/whatever wife is no longer quite so intent on gouging my eyes out in her oh-so-compassionate efforts to "purify" me of my endless sins and blasphemies ... anyway, this is just a long way around to saying that before I leave the states again I plan to take at least one trip down through my old home in Taos, New Mexico, then across to see my "only living first-degree-relative" my older sister who lives in Clemson, SC. .... and after that perhaps a swing up north to visit you and Frary and a few others I've always wanted to connect with in person before I go off into whatever comes after ... and as I type this, I'm playing On Hyndford Street by Van Morrison, and it's perfect.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For my own tracking in case this one survives:

Coastal Redwood indoors for the winter (year 3, 5 years old, still surviving and limps along under the lights) has mostly organic soil, and apparently an acorn snuck in last year. Been staring at it for a month and figured I’d bend it up a bit.
The things that are entertaining in winter...

Thinking northern red or northern pin oak.

The places our trees come from. Personally have at least 5 Oak volunteers :oops:.

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The places our trees come from. Personally have at least 5 Oak volunteers :oops:.
Indeed! I believe a squirrel buried it there in the fall- I’m constantly refilling little squirrel-dug holes in some pots/grow beds. I don’t want to jeopardize any of my coastal root system.. when did you first “relocate” your volunteers @Potawatomi13 ? I will have no choice but to do so by the solstice.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One was dug from bank flower bed in November. Three were dug from ground by fellow club member. One from ground(lawn)at present apartment complex. Two others from plant sale believe were volunteers. However none from other trees pots:eek:. However did have a Jap maple and birch in pot with Yamadori Ponderosa and remove them when doing repot ot Ponderosa in lat Winter/early Spring. Root systems took a beating but both survived well. Also did this with Douglas Fir same time and it survived. Have not done with Oak YET however young trees more forgiving of root insults. Your roots will be tangled but should give first consideration to main tree and keep a few roots for seedling and all will be hunky dory;).

Top Bottom