Boredom leads to a Blueberry

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I needed some line for my weed eater and ended up having to go to a few places before finding it......by the time I hit the 3rd place I broke and went to look at plants.

Don't have any blueberry and I always like new projects. Planning on cutting this back farther just a little stuck on what I want/should keep. I left the lowest branch (on the left) to thicken the bottom up but planning on removing that one eventually.

Thoughts are welcome!

20170730_190712.jpg

As Purchased:
20170730_150423.jpg

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice start. Just remember with blueberries to wire the shoots while they're flexible. They get stiff and brittle. Oh, and they're easy to snap off when you're wiring, so be careful.

Thank you ! Very good info to know, I appreciate it!

I'm looking forward to working on this further.

With this species, can I cut back and leave branches without leaves or will they die ? Cheers!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
My blueberry died last year... I was sad about that one, it was one of the first few plants I ever tried to grow as bonsai.
I still don't know what happened to it...
It was normal in 2015, then I repotted and cut back in winter....maybe a little too early I guess...I dunno.
But in 2016 it grew well. It bloomed. I did but the blooms off after a day or two....thinking that it would grow more foliage instead.
Well, it did! So I trimmed it back a bit...
It put out more growth....then quickly died.
It was Duke High Bush variety.
RIP blubes.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you ! Very good info to know, I appreciate it!

I'm looking forward to working on this further.

With this species, can I cut back and leave branches without leaves or will they die ? Cheers!
You can. At this time of year I'd be hesitant to do it, but in spring chopping and defoliating not a problem.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You can. At this time of year I'd be hesitant to do it, but in spring chopping and defoliating not a problem.

Thank you my instinct was to wait as well. Thank you again for your advice as this is a new species to me I am grateful!

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My blueberry died last year... I was sad about that one, it was one of the first few plants I ever tried to grow as bonsai.
I still don't know what happened to it...
It was normal in 2015, then I repotted and cut back in winter....maybe a little too early I guess...I dunno.
But in 2016 it grew well. It bloomed. I did but the blooms off after a day or two....thinking that it would grow more foliage instead.
Well, it did! So I trimmed it back a bit...
It put out more growth....then quickly died.
It was Duke High Bush variety.
RIP blubes.

Thank you and sorry to hear about yours!

This one is the "sunshine blue" Variety

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you my instinct was to wait as well. Thank you again for your advice as this is a new species to me I am grateful!
I have grown the native Huckleberries and find them to be delightful bonsai subjects. You don't have to do any work to reduce the leaves, and they can be shaped nicely as long as you have something decent to start with. When collecting specimens I look for any signs of taper, which is the big issue with them. But they come out of collecting just fine (I don't think I've ever lost one) and go on their merry way growing. I'm sure you'll really enjoy the species.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have grown the native Huckleberries and find them to be delightful bonsai subjects. You don't have to do any work to reduce the leaves, and they can be shaped nicely as long as you have something decent to start with. When collecting specimens I look for any signs of taper, which is the big issue with them. But they come out of collecting just fine (I don't think I've ever lost one) and go on their merry way growing. I'm sure you'll really enjoy the species.

I was thinking taper would be an issue. i have left that large branch on the left in hopes of it thickening the trunk. I wonder if it will do just that or do they tend to bulge?

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was thinking taper would be an issue. i have left that large branch on the left in hopes of it thickening the trunk. I wonder if it will do just that or do they tend to bulge?
I'm not sure, frankly, I collect for size. But you have good taper already. I see a nice trunk line if you cut to that slimmer trunk that's upright. I'd leave the low shoot to see if it enhances taper, with an eye toward removing it in a year or two. Don't cut to that nice trunk line this year, wait till next year so you can get more vigor in the new growth and some new shoots that can be used as branches.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@StoneCloud - nice. You are in Southern Florida, the "normal" northern highbush, Vaccinium corymbosum and northern low bush, Vaccinium angustafolia, would die in your warm winter, they need significant cold for 3 months to thrive. So for you,'Duke', 'Bluecrop' and other northern cultivars are out. I suspect 'Sunshine Blue' is either a rabbit eye hybrid or a southern highbush hybrid with low winter chill requirements. They are hybrids with southern huckle berries, fairly complex breeding.

My experience is only with the northern highbush type.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In general, highbush blueberry the root system is very long lived, a century or more is very possible. From the roots they send up suckers, or shoots that typically will last up to maybe 20 years, then the roots withdraw support in favor of younger shoots. If you remove suckers every year, forcing the roots to continue to support a single trunk, it is likely you can keep that trunk healthy for more than 20 years, quite possibly as much as 100 years. Just be aware that if you allow multiple suckers to develop beyond one or two years, there's a chance the oldest trunk might fail on you, when you didn't expect it to.

Hybrids with Huckleberry ancestry may be less prone to this problem, but I have no experience with Huckleberry-Blueberry hybrids.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Blueberries are show strong dominance to send energy to the shoot with the least amount of ramification. This is essentially apical dominance, but height is not the main driving force. It's the least amount of branching between the roots and the shoot, that is where the energy will go.

If you have a nice branch with 3 degrees of branching, and a new shoot appears close to the trunk, the unbranched shoot will monopolize the sap flow, and the finely branched portion further out away from the trunk will weaken, possibly die if tree is stressed by drought. So remove or prune back unbranched shoots late spring and again late summer. That way you can keep more refined branches. If you don't, structure will be coarse and have zones out of balance.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Leo in N E Illinois

Thank you and cheers on the response and information! Much appreciated and well taken.

Good to know that the suckers may cause the main trunk to die....I know this may be a different cultivar than what you mention but I will still take this into consideration.......in fact I just noticed a whole freaking clump of suckers today that I was planning on removing.

If finally stopped raining after days.......and I always walk around and take really close looks at all my trees after days of rain. New stuff always arises......good..and bad lol.

Also, I just the other day pruned back the new and un branched shoots! Funny b/c I was doing this to encourage buds further back to develop.... by weakening the new shoots. I was not aware though of the reasoning you mention, so I'm glad I did that :D

Thanks again for the advice! I will try and get an updated pic on here soon.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In case you haven't figured it out or heard before, I am minority partner in a farm with 3 acres of blueberries, and the only one in the bunch who knows which end of the bush gets planted in the ground. We bought the farm autumn 2015, so I only have 2 commercial harvests under my belt. 3 acres can produce 12,000 to 24,000 pounds of berries without much effort, more if care is above average. Spring 2017 was my first foray into blueberry bonsai. So I got some, but not much hands on experience, from commercial and hobby side of things.

The typical blueberry cycle for a single shoot is:

year 1 - New unbranched shoots emerge from roots. This can be almost anytime during the growing season. It grows first season without branching. Typically, over winter apical bud will die, next year's extension will be from buds a little bit back from the tip. For a mature highbush BB, this single shoot can reach 6 feet (2 meters) in one 4 month growing season, without branching. It almost reminds me of a bamboo shoot, except it has rounder leaves and grows slower than bamboo.

year 2 - usually get two or more buds to send out or up secondary branches. Again, terminal buds die over winter. Most of buds will be near top of shoot, but not always, branches can occur anywhere along the shoot.

year 3 - branches develop on 2nd year branches pattern is as before, but within 30 days after fruit is ripe on older branches, the flower buds tend to begin to form. For me, 'Bluecrop' cultivar normally will ripen fruit before Aug 1, by August 15 to Sept 1 you can begin to see the larger, rounder terminal buds that will become the flowers. These larger, rounder terminal buds will survive the winter, and in spring will open as flowers. There tends to be 4 to 16 or so flowers on each stem that emerges from the flower buds. Average is 8 to 12 on a bush in the ground. These flower buds won't open until spring of year 4.

Year 4 thru year 10 - each year adds another level of branching. Note, frequently dormant buds along older stems will sprout, keep an eye on these, as these may take over nutrient supplies to the branch at expense of the more highly branched portion of the stems. Spring the flower buds will expand, and flowers will open about the same time early blooming apples start. Leaves will begin to expand as flowers are opening. Most northern highbush blueberries are self - fertile, a single plant will set a reasonable crop of fruit. Northern lowbush, and Rabbit Eye blueberries usually require a different cultivar to be present to pollinate. For these have at least two different cultivars on your bench. Southern highbush, from what little I have read, some are self fertile some require cross pollination. Solitary bees and bumble bees are the best pollinators,. Honeybees can pollinate blueberries, but they have to visit the same flower several times before they get the job done. Honeybees are too large to slip into the flower the way solitary bees do, and not heavy enough to vibrate the whole flower the way bumblebees do. Commercial growers actually purchase bumble bee boxes if they are only doing blueberries, rather than mess with honeybees. If they have other tree fruit besides blueberries, they usually will use honeybees, even though they are not as effective. Years 4 through 10 this shoot will be most productive producing fruit. After 10 years fruit size and quantity start declining, most commercial operations will prune out ''canes'' older than 10 years to encourage new shoots in order to maximize the number of shoots in the 4 -10 year age range

year 11 and beyond - here the shoot is ''past its prime'', and care must be taken to keep the root system from abandoning this branch. Dormant buds will keep sprouting on old wood and try to replace ramified branches with less branched younger branches. If you stay on top of this pattern tendency to revert to more juvenal growth, you can keep the branch growing indefinitely. But you might also consider that at some point, you will just have to replace an old shoot with a younger one. View the blueberry as a ''temporary'' bonsai, which will very couple decades have to replace the main trunk with a new one.

so below are some of my blueberries, In the field, 'Bluecrop' ready for first picking.
In bonsai pot and nursery pot, 'Toro', a cultivar I picked up because it has thicker stems than most blueberries, which I figure would translate to more tree like appearance. Maybe yes, maybe no. Both are same, 'Toro' , the one in the bonsai pot is growing more slowly, the one in nursery can is pretty robust.

I also have 'Sweetheart', 'Duke', 'Huron', and 'Bluecrop' in pots to evaluate as bonsai. In the fields these have been planted, but they are too young to bear, all the mature bushes are 'Bluecrop' or 'Jersey' . While 'Jersey' is considered a good standard to compare all blueberries against, it is inferior for commercial purposes. but excellent for flavor. Eventually we'll dig out the 'Jersey' and replace with a better variety. So far, my personal favorite is 'Bluecrop', if I were to keep only one blueberry cultivar, it would be my choice. Bluecrop has good disease resistance, excellent flavor with good tartness if picked slightly under ripe, and very sweet if allowed to get slightly over ripe. I like them while still tart. Berry size and firmness is great, it has no major faults. Ripens before Jersey, and is considered an early-midseason cultivar. A good one.

IMG_20170708_215338_888.jpg IMG_20170708_215338_885.jpg IMG_20160312_101059_120.jpg IMG_20170829_190900427.jpg IMG_20170829_190956979.jpg IMG_20160312_101059_120.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
One last thing.

Blueberries like acidic soils. They will have trouble if pH is above 6.5, ideal is between 5.0 and 6.0, more important than pH is they prefer low total alkalinity, or low calcium levels in their soil and their water. You will never find them in limestone derived clay soils. Sand is most common soil they are found it.

I use Pumice, fir bark and Canadian peat moss is roughly equal amounts. Kanuma is not acidic enough by itself, add some if you like but still add peat. I try to water with low calcium water source, rain water if possible. Water should be less than 75 ppm total alkalinity as calcium carbonate. I also fertilize with Mira-acid plant food for acid loving plants. Do not use turface, as a substrate, it contains calcium. Because I use peat, the potting mix will break down, repot yearly, or at least every 2 years, as peat will not drain well. But you need the organics and the acidity, so you can't get away without peat. UNLESS, you have really pure water, I end up using 220 ppm municipal water every dry spell, so the peat helps me get past the periods we don't get enough rain. My rain barrels tend to run dry in August. You can get by if your water is always rain water, then you can skip the peat.

Two tricks - blueberries have an endo-mycorrhiza, and to keep the mycorrhiza happy, add some hardwood sawdust to your potting mix. It is not for the blueberry, its for its mycorrhiza, and it really helps. Maybe 5 to 10% of total mix should be sawdust.

2nd trick - from feed store pick up soil sulfur, meant to be sprinkled on your garden vegetable plot. It is a pelletised elemental sulfur which will dissolve slowly. Add about one tablespoon per gallon of potting mix, it will last about a year. The elemental sulfur sold as a fungicide is the same thing, just a finer grind, add about a teaspoon per gallon of potting mix and re-apply every 4 months because it will dissolve much quicker than the coarse grind sold as soil sulfur.

That's really it,
You now know ''everything'' that I know about blueberries.

Which does mean that we still don't know much.

Top Bottom