Boring Yew

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey folks.

I’ve got a yew tree that has been growing away in my grow bed for the last few years - save lifting it trimming roots and replanting it every other year - it’s been left alone. But I‘ve made a silly mistake with it. I didn’t bend the trunk. So now I’ve got a very healthy yew with a nice flat base that’s telegraph pole straight! Rookie error.

To try and make it a bit more interesting, I wondered about splitting the trunk, wiring the two halves and putting some movement into it. Would this work? Would a yew survive this? When would be the best time of year to do this?

Thanks all.

Andy

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pictures?

The yew would survive. I would do it before budbreak in spring when it is starting to push and has brought juices back.

But there may be other options.
Pictures?

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks Leather. It’s planted in the middle of my grow bed and I can’t reach it to photograph it. But it’s just straight up with lots of branches coming off it all round. A bit like this one. Only bigger. Trunk is about 1 1/2’ thick. Height is about three foot. I thought if I were to split the trunk, doing it while it‘s still relatively young would mean the trunk will be slightly more flexible. And easier to recover?

08AA0F5E-C8B8-40CB-938F-B79E953C2E8C.jpeg

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Is it currently planted in the grow bed?
Sounds like running it over with truck may be tough where it’s at now. 🤨😁
Hicks yew?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about.. a low prune? Not sure how many years development you still want on there. But a well-rooted yew will resprout and regrow like crazy. Make a sidebranche into the new trunk, and wired in place this time, then let it shoot for a bit?

Top Bottom