Bosnian Pine; Pinus Heldreichii

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
A pine that has some nice features. An interesting species; difficult to fine info about its use in Bonsai.
The buds are moving slightly so I'm going to repot it soon.
Nursery Stock with a robust trunk. No doubt many circling roots...
Needles are coarse and dark green
Bark is smooth and grey, for now.
There is back-budding on the trunk; I'd like to see how this species will respond to pruning techniques.

If anyone has experience or a resource for info, please share.

Thanks,
AFRAME

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 175
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    342.6 KB · Views: 152
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    319.7 KB · Views: 138

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
A pine that has some nice features. An interesting species; difficult to fine info about its use in Bonsai.
The buds are moving slightly so I'm going to repot it soon.
Nursery Stock with a robust trunk. No doubt many circling roots...
Needles are coarse and dark green
Bark is smooth and grey, for now.
There is back-budding on the trunk; I'd like to see how this species will respond to pruning techniques.

If anyone has experience or a resource for info, please share.

Thanks,
AFRAME

I got a couple of those, you can use scotch and mugo pine techniques. Only difference is that it doesn't sets new buds in same season you prune it or decandle it, but on the beginning of new season .

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Curious name. I have Bosnian pine called Pinus leucodermis(sp):confused:? Has very STIFF sharp dark green needles in 2s. Also buds back but not that far back and gets new buds in same growing season as sprouts trimmed. Sharp needles make not fun to work on:eek:. You have many sprouts to choose from and good group of sacrifice branches missing from most Pines;).

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Curious name. I have Bosnian pine called Pinus leucodermis(sp):confused:? Has very STIFF sharp dark green needles in 2s. Also buds back but not that far back and gets new buds in same growing season as sprouts trimmed. Sharp needles make not fun to work on:eek:. You have many sprouts to choose from and good group of sacrifice branches missing from most Pines;).
They are the same according to this (synonymous):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_heldreichii
Very ridged and sharp, yes.

Todoroff

Seedling
Reaction score
Нi.It's my first pine tree (Pinus holdreichii).I have concerns that I have not pruned it in best way and do not know if it will recover properly.

sorry for my EN :)pine.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are needles stiff and sharp? Two branches on right side and wiring too thin to be effective. Suggest to cut above top rt branch and wire to be apex and sacrifice. Does not need to be formal upright straight up but should use as at least partial sacrifice for trunk development. Tree is still alive so not all is lost;).

Todoroff

Seedling
Reaction score
Are needles stiff and sharp? Two branches on right side and wiring too thin to be effective. Suggest to cut above top rt branch and wire to be apex and sacrifice. Does not need to be formal upright straight up but should use as at least partial sacrifice for trunk development. Tree is still alive so not all is lost;).

Yes,needles are very stiff and sharp.You mean cut here?

Attachments

• pine5.png
    pine5.png
    270.2 KB · Views: 92

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One lower;). For now. Maybe just keep for trunk growth than when achieved cut to lowest rt branch as new main trunk. Current trunk too straight. Lowest section needs bent

Todoroff

Seedling
Reaction score
One lower;). For now. Maybe just keep for trunk growth than when achieved cut to lowest rt branch as new main trunk. Current trunk too straight. Lowest section needs bent

Thank you!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice tree. The species P. hedreichii is becoming more popular in the USA because it is very tolerant of urban air pollution, and is relatively cold hardy. I've seen it offered in the Chicago area nurseries.

Your tree is young, if it were mine, I would just allow it to grow until the base of the trunk was larger in diameter than my thumb. Bulk it up. Then later we prune it back.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Apparently the oldest tree in Europe is a Bosnian pine. The bark is nothing much to look at. It has an anti clockwise twist so when you are wiring, remember this.....

Todoroff

Seedling
Reaction score
Apparently the oldest tree in Europe is a Bosnian pine. The bark is nothing much to look at. It has an anti clockwise twist so when you are wiring, remember this.....

Hi.I'm from Bulgaria and in Pirin mountain we have this amaizing Bosnian pine.The Baikushev's pine (Bulgarian: Байкушевата мура) is a coniferous tree situated in Pirin, southwestern Bulgaria. It is named after its discoverer, forest ranger Kostadin Baikushev. With an approximate age of about 1,300 years, Baikushev's pine is one of the oldest trees in the world and is a contemporary of the foundation of the Bulgarian state (681 ad). It has a height of 26 m, is 2.2 m in diameter and 7.8m in circumference.

Attachments

• bajkusheva-mura2.jpg
    bajkusheva-mura2.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 70
  • bajkusheva-mura.png
    bajkusheva-mura.png
    321 KB · Views: 76

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi.I'm from Bulgaria and in Pirin mountain we have this amaizing Bosnian pine.The Baikushev's pine (Bulgarian: Байкушевата мура) is a coniferous tree situated in Pirin, southwestern Bulgaria. It is named after its discoverer, forest ranger Kostadin Baikushev. With an approximate age of about 1,300 years, Baikushev's pine is one of the oldest trees in the world and is a contemporary of the foundation of the Bulgarian state (681 ad). It has a height of 26 m, is 2.2 m in diameter and 7.8m in circumference.
It's majestic! Thank you for posting.

VERMONT USA !!!!

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry for the "UP" i feel this tree is really near the Pinus Uncinata (Hook pine) and both are masculine as well
Pretty sure it is a well suitable and workable tree. I really love them now.

The Hook pine grow far higher in mountain and requiered fresh climate.
Bosnian pine seem to be really suitable for urban and hot summer environment

Top Bottom