Bosnian pine

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
And with 5 different species of pine already, Lord knows I have enough pines. :rolleyes:
Your right, best to stop when you still can. Personally, when I hit the 5 mark the collector in me kicks in and I want one of each.
I would love to have a Bosnian pine to play with. It seemed like they were everywhere a couple years ago and now not so much.
Awesome bark on the old ones though.
image.jpeg

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
this tree is still alive and well. When should I repot it into a shallower pot? Is it safe to cut off some unwanted branches at the same time of the report?

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Nice initial styling. I look forward to seeing more on this species. I often see this and the Austrian black pine in nurseries. They always look really healthy and vigorous.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like it. You could re-pot now.

If you haven’t already, you should watch a Ryan Neil video on the yearly cycle of single flush pines.

In essence, you’ll be spending a couple years with ample fertilizer and getting as much back budding as you can.

Those principles will logically dictate when you cut branches, candles, and thin/balance old needles.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you. I'm unsure on how to handle the apex.

As you now know, carefully. Very stiff stickery needles. Had one but accidently killed off after several years. Had planned on windswept but was at point of changing that. Good fortune;).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Heres some pics as promised. It has a nice case of fusing circular roots. Id say desperately needs a repot, much to my surprise i found buds on old cut sites and the trunk. Id love to remove the whole top and trim New shoots right now but fear that'll be going too far. Esp if I plan to spring repot. The whole future tree is in the first 4 branches.View attachment 153951 View attachment 153952 View attachment 153953
@Soldano How is the progress on this Bosnian? I came across one at work which I am tempted by, but want to hear your thoughts first.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
@Soldano How is the progress on this Bosnian? I came across one at work which I am tempted by, but want to hear your thoughts first.
I say go for it. They back bud well. Thanks, unfortunately deer ate all the terminal buds last winter and the tree never grew this year. I've had my fingers crossed but she turning brown now,and a second on I got late last summer, I cut back hard and it popped crazy amounts of new buds thru the fall. I repotted this spring and seemed to be doing well. Candles extended, needles were nice and short, and now I'd be expecting nice new terminal buds forming but I only have a few and the rest is looking like it wants to give up the ghost. I moved last fall too and my new yard has not enough firect sun light so I'm chalking up my losses to that. Ive also lost a couple nice Scots pines to the same demise. I'm not having a stellar year to say the least

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, I will keep it on my radar. I have about 6 trees on my want list at work. But without having everything ready at home, I dont want to throw my money away, esp without a greenhouse and a fence.

Death happens, my new home is 2 zones colder (zone 4/5, with hot dry summers) and without a greenhouse over the past year. I kept my most of my cherished trees alive cokd hardy trees. Needless to say a few perished.

Thanks for the update!

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I say go for it. They back bud well. Thanks, unfortunately deer ate all the terminal buds last winter and the tree never grew this year. I've had my fingers crossed but she turning brown now,and a second on I got late last summer, I cut back hard and it popped crazy amounts of new buds thru the fall. I repotted this spring and seemed to be doing well. Candles extended, needles were nice and short, and now I'd be expecting nice new terminal buds forming but I only have a few and the rest is looking like it wants to give up the ghost. I moved last fall too and my new yard has not enough firect sun light so I'm chalking up my losses to that. Ive also lost a couple nice Scots pines to the same demise. I'm not having a stellar year to say the least

Owned.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like the cut of your jib. Do you have a newsletter I could subscribe to?

Top Bottom