Boston Ivy

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm leery of where I put my Virginia Creeper. I've always kept it away from people. My mom was really allergic to it. This year it's more in front on my bench. But I intend to keep it cut back more...and I've never had anyone touch the foliage of a tree. Other than the ginkgo...But I respect you for your stance on concerned for others.
See there? I've never heard of allergy to Virginia Creeper. Learn something everyday.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
See there? I've never heard of allergy to Virginia Creeper. Learn something everyday.
I originally bought my Creeper for the pot it came in. No one bid against me for it. I was petrified of touching it. Mom had horrible reactions to it. But onr day I just got tired of living in fear. It's on my top shelf and really one would have to reach out intentionally to touch it. I was relieved it didn't bother me in any such way.

LCD35

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do these generally want a more water retentive mix, or are they fine with a free flowing inorganic? I'm seeing deeper pots in most of these pictures and wonder if that's only to support the cascade.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Must have been a grape!

That's it on my old neighbor's garage.
View attachment 305109

Odd because I would see new baby Boston Ivy plants starting below it, so I thought the leaves changed shape.

Seems just a coincidence.

I'll see if I can find a better pic.

What is on the wall at Wrigley? Boston?

I don't go there! Hahahahahaha!

Sorce
I tried saving and enlarging. But...it's distorted. I know I have grape vines growing in my ravine...We have to watch they don't climb the trees. I have a really quirky wild cherry that I didn't want this grape to weigh down and possibly kill branches.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@sorce - grape vines tend to climb using tendrils. The tendrils twin around a support.

Virginia creeper and Boston ivy climb using sticky pads at the ends of tendrils, like little suction cups.

Boston ivy - Parthenocissus tricuspidata - this is the vine covering the brick walls of Wrigley Field.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
grape vines tend to climb using tendrils. The tendrils twin around a support.

The plot thickens!

I swear they were pads on this grape thing.

I'm going to it to get a pic right now.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
An sun, well, at least you can see the pads all over the door!
20200529_120822.jpg20200529_120834.jpg20200529_120829.jpg

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
🤔

Damn! It was 14 minutes.

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Those leaves sure do look "grapey". But the tendrils do look like they have pads. I would say Boston Ivy, or one of the single leaflet Parthenocissus. Fruit in late summer will also help. Parthenocissus the fruit is pretty dry. The Vitis species, the fruit is well, "grapey". The fruit will taste more or less like a bitter grape. It will have flesh and dark purple staining juice.

But right now I am thinking Parthenocissus too.

Top Bottom