Botanical Garden Sale

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
The local garden was having their annual sale today. I found a few satsukis. There were several others, but there were multiple strikes in the same pot so I passed. I picked up Higasa, Johga, Tama no Hada, and Tsuki no Shimo.

DSC03161-1.jpg

They are small, but will be fun to play with.

Last edited:

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The local garden was having their annual sale today. I found a few satsukis. There were several others, but there were multiple strikes in the same pot so I passed. I picked up Higasa, Johga, Tama no Hada, and Tsuki no Shimo.

View attachment 137007

They are small, but will be fun to play with.
Good score!!! How many cvs do you have?, if you don't mind my asking.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
cultivars............sorry about that

Oh, ok, I did not know CVS was the abbreviation. I don'the mind you asking.

Satsukis, probably only 10 - 15. Kurumes and others, maybe 25-30. In pots.

10 or so various ones in the ground. I lost two in pots to freeze damage, go figure, we only got one day this year below 32 and it zapped them

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh, ok, I did not know CVS was the abbreviation. I don'the mind you asking.

Satsukis, probably only 10 - 15. Kurumes and others, maybe 25-30. In pots.

10 or so various ones in the ground. I lost two in pots to freeze damage, go figure, we only got one day this year below 32 and it zapped them
That's odd, losing to freeze damage, but it does occur...............as you said...........go figure. I've been watching your azalea posts for awhile, that's why I asked. I've had as many as 26 satsuki cvs, I'm down to 6 at this point, Some given away or sold, some of them just don't like it this far south. Chojuho did not like the herbicide drift from 2015 and gave up the ghost pretty quick, the rest survived but the blossoms are all distorted. One even had 9 petal blooms, I'm hoping that it's not a permanent mutation. I've got an old matsunami that's been around awhile, speaking with Russell C. years ago about it, we determined that it's at the southern end of it's range. The parent plant came from Northern Mississippi as a 4 footer, mine came from that one and has formed a small globe shape about 14 inches tall. It just won't do anymore than that. Anyway, I've enjoyed your posts about them. Thanks for posting them!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
That's odd, losing to freeze damage, but it does occur...............as you said...........go figure. I've been watching your azalea posts for awhile, that's why I asked. I've had as many as 26 satsuki cvs, I'm down to 6 at this point, Some given away or sold, some of them just don't like it this far south. Chojuho did not like the herbicide drift from 2015 and gave up the ghost pretty quick, the rest survived but the blossoms are all distorted. One even had 9 petal blooms, I'm hoping that it's not a permanent mutation. I've got an old matsunami that's been around awhile, speaking with Russell C. years ago about it, we determined that it's at the southern end of it's range. The parent plant came from Northern Mississippi as a 4 footer, mine came from that one and has formed a small globe shape about 14 inches tall. It just won't do anymore than that. Anyway, I've enjoyed your posts about them. Thanks for posting them!

I think the freeze damage happened because it was so warm and they were actively growing. 75 one day, 29 the next, the trunk was moving a lot of water and it froze, the bark just peeled away. To be fair, they were of the grocery store variety and aren't very cold hardy. I hate to loose them, they had very nice flowers.

That is bad about your chojuho. Funny story about mine, I bought them at the botanical gardens sale, they weren't blooming and I did not know what the flower was supposed to look like. One opened a week later, it was a double flower, light pink, with hot pink stripes. Same skinny petals. I cut the branch off and pruned and snipped to shape the tree up. I was showing it to Russell C. at the meeting and he asked if I knew what the flowers looked like, I said sure and showed him the picture, he, of course said that was a mutation and would be a new strain, asked where the branch was. I told him I had cut it off. He just shook his head. I have never seen that type of flower on mine again.

I have too many, and will have to thin the herd eventually.

Glad you enjoy the pictures, thanks.

Top Bottom