Bougainvillea Air Layer Prospect

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm thinking of air layering the curvy section of this Bogi. Anyone ever air layered a bougainvillea and have any advice. Any chance I could just cut out and plant? Any chance I could cut out and plant upside down? I actually think it would look better with the top down and bottom up but this may not be possible.
The foliage mostly hangs over the wall so I don't think my parents will miss just one little branch.

Bogi air layer.jpg 20160701_164821.jpg

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's one hell of a trunk down there... dig it.
I would like to but I better not. I actually have a big Bougi that is probably a little better the this one so I don't feel the need to dig this one up. I was hoping to get a nice Literati style tree out of that branch.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
We often learn by doing. You have several trunks just pick a couple and use your best judgement on a couple. Let us know how things progress.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Think about how it will eventually be planted...as to the exact air layer is done. They are to root rather well. But I can see your wishing to have a better chance at success. Good luck with this project.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
My Bougie air layered failed so can't help there but it is of a similar thickness to your and I think I will just chop it and whack it in a pot and hope it grows.
I'm annoyed as now it has shown it's colour and it is different to all the others I have, at least you can take cuttings.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We often learn by doing. You have several trunks just pick a couple and use your best judgement on a couple. Let us know how things progress.
I can tell you I will learn either by success or failure. I will probably chop at the top black line this year and wait for buds to pop and get some branching going. I will then air layer next spring. I will take some of what I cut out and have a few "sticks in a pot" and see what happens.
Think about how it will eventually be planted...as to the exact air layer is done. They are to root rather well. But I can see your wishing to have a better chance at success. Good luck with this project.
I know what mean about where the exact air layer will take place. I need to figure out the planting angle so I locate the layer in a location where the trunk looks natural as it exits the soil.

Top Bottom