Bougainvillea air-layer question

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Can I air layer all the branches of this bougie at the same time and expect it to live (or will it bud back once the layers are in place?)
img_6628-jpg.90337

I can't find a more up to date photo, but it is currently much more vigorous than this. Or should I just take all the branches off as cuttings and then section the trunk into more cuttings?
The trunk is about 10", and I wanted to take off 2 31/2" - 4" sections for rooting.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In my renewed* understanding u can airlayer any branch wich has foilage above it.

*still a noob.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bougainvillea root so easily when done at the appropriate timing...that I would not hesitate to do so...and I think much easier on the existing tree.

10" circumference or...measuring from left to right across the trunk?

I think I would consider which particular one you wish higher success with. For not all air layers take. Most do...but something to consider. I would think...harder on main plant...air layering all those sections. But...I can't personally speak from experience. Though I did root a cutting from a bougie. It was rather quite easy. @sam a member here has rooted thicker trunks. Maybe ask him...he's not on a whole lot. But past Posts maybe helpful of his.

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The main trunk is about 10" tall (closer to 8" since this photo was taken). I've had good success rates with cuttings so far. I have 8 thin whippy cuttings waiting for a project (I'm thinking a clump style) once the roots beef up a bit more.
I may just take off all the branches then do a repot into better soil, as it's still in awful nursery peat. Of course, the weather has gotten colder again, so I'll have to wait.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ahhh so the 10" wasn't circumference after all. I think personally cuttings make it easier on the main plant. Because I've been told...when air layering. Make sure that your main focus is what you intend to take off. Not the mother plant. Because it can weaken it. Thus...my Kojo No Mai...I just chopped and tossed the cuttings. (A tree that needed air layered. Buy not worth the risk of sacrificing my main tree.)

And clump style bougie...sweet!

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Took a quick snap just now to show the current state of the foliage:
IMG_0080.JPG
The branch coming forward is actually drooping from the weight of the leaves. All of my struck cuttings have flowered, but the mother plant itself still hasn't.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What are your intentions with the mother plant? For those branches are very long,but healthy. Look at this bougainvillea's ramification. I personally would work to developing a structure than worrying about blooms at this time. They are so short lived...ramification can be done over time. With an occasional time allotted to appreciate bracts. (Not my tree...and I'm having a brain fart trying to recall whose it belongs to. Thinking maybe a Phil...on a FB group. But not certain. I had asked awhile back if I might use his tree in showing the ramifications he accomplished...and was given the ok) I would put some movement into the braches with wire...or work on the clip and grow. But...not let them grow out as long as you have. Doing that will take further time to develop the tree. Though...a sacrifice branch could be left.

image.jpg

As for blooming...your a northerner such as myself. So shorter lived blooming cycle if you ask me. I typically get blooms twice a year...tied in to the length of hours from the sun. Stressed trees will bloom...so, maybe thus why the cuttings did so. Only taking a guess here. But they also bloom from the ends of their branches, you cut the ends off of the mother plant. And those ends bloomed. Could be another factor why the mother plant didn't bloom...and the cuttings did.

Last edited:

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What are your intentions with the mother plant?
I want to chop it back to a bare trunk, about 3 or 4 inches high and start to rebuild it as either a slant or maybe try for formal upright if I think I can get some taper. I want to keep it sort of simple and classic, just work on ramification and such. Something like this:
virt 1.jpg
Either layer or make cuttings of the rest for an army of bougies.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Your first branch from the bottom of the soil. How high up is it? Could you develop that as a leader with a bit of movement or are you thinking its to far up on the trunk.

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think it's too far up. I'll take a closer look when I get home from work.

Top Bottom