leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As for the bugs, I spotted plenty of black dots that look more like tiny bugs vs poops and have yet to find who's chewing on the leaves
On the leaves I saw lots of little insects which are sucking the sap and are more harmfull than whatever snail or beetle is feasting on the individual leaves. You need to do something about them.

The bigger snackers could be related to these; Not sure what their english name would be:
1613372057803.png

Moxie

Seedling
Reaction score
Definitely looks like aphids...although you might have some issues with fungus as well. The bugs should be easy to deal with. Just mix a solution of neem oil and Dawn dish soap or "black soap" and heavily spray the tree, making sure to hit both the tops and bottoms of leaves and every nook and cranny of the trunk and stems. I usually mix about a teaspoon of neem oil to a pint of hot water, and a half teaspoon of soap. Put the soap in after the water, or you will have a sudsy mess.

As for the fungus, someone else can hopefully answer that one. I live in a dry climate, so thankfully have not had to deal with that one.

You may very well lose all the leaves, but I have found bougainvillea to be pretty resilient. Just slow down on watering until it fully recovers. I would say wait to water until the soil is mostly dry.

Good luck!!!
Thanks so much for this! What is the ratio of neem oil and Dawn when I mix it? How much water should I add? These black tiny bugs are now attacking my other bonsai💔😱😱😱 i need to stop them ASAP

Moxie

Seedling
Reaction score
Yes 💯 agree as they are now attacking my other bonsai😱 I’m going to use neem oil and Dawn as suggested in the earlier post, just waiting to confirm the ratio for the mixture🤞🏼
On the leaves I saw lots of little insects which are sucking the sap and are more harmfull than whatever snail or beetle is feasting on the individual leaves. You need to do something about them.

The bigger snackers could be related to these; Not sure what their english name would be:
View attachment 354673
s

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
That plant needs to be outside all year long. My bougainvilleas are in full bloom right now. Mine are outside and a few leafs are chewed, but not many. I would cut back on the watering as these plants can handle a full drout, just to be safe from root rot.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That plant needs to be outside all year long. My bougainvilleas are in full bloom right now. Mine are outside and a few leafs are chewed, but not many. I would cut back on the watering as these plants can handle a full drout, just to be safe from root rot.
Thread is over a yr old

Maybe OP can update

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
A year really isn’t a lot of time in bonsai land.
but for a bougie a year can mean a lot of change.
it’s a cool tree an I wouldn’t mind an update.

Top Bottom