Bougainvillea bonsai thornless

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
image.jpg image.jpg I purchased this bougainvillea last week. The clerk took the tag with genus and species on it off without me realizing so i dont know the type of boug that I have. The leaves have been yellowing and dropping off. We live in south florida and are keeping it in our screened pool area that has a north exposure with light all day and filtered western sun late afternoon. I hope its just a normal readjustment time. Would love advice regarding what to do with the spent branches. Leave or cut back?? Thinking that I may need ro feetilize but nervous if the plant is stressed?? Thanks in advance for your insight

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If it's stressed u shouldn't do too much pruning but let it just grow. Most plants like misting and i think it can't hurt.

Geo

Chumono
Reaction score
Todos Santos,Baja Sur Elev56M 23.46N 110.24W
USDA Zone
11+
What is the substrate? How much water are you giving it?Bougies do not like to sit in wet soil with no air. I see course gravel on the surface of the pot,but that could be dressing. And what is with the moss?As to light. I know it is South Florida,but North exposure? Bougies like light. I live 23N latitude and mine get at least six hours of full sun.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bougianvillea like to go practically dry between watering. If you have highly organic substrate you need to keep its feet from being totally wet all the time. Because they are susceptible to rot. Curious if the rocks on the surface are decorative or the actual substrate.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yellowing is usually a sign of overwatering. I'd get it outside into the sun. I have a variegated bougainvillea (which are a bit less sun tolerant) and it is doing pretty well in direct sun all day long.

CW

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Yellowing is usually a sign of overwatering. I'd get it outside into the sun. I have a variegated bougainvillea (which are a bit less sun tolerant) and it is doing pretty well in direct sun all day long.

CW
Its been outside since we got it. Getting many hours of sun but since it is raining here Ive kept it under cover outside only watering it when its dry
What is the substrate? How much water are you giving it?Bougies do not like to sit in wet soil with no air. I see course gravel on the surface of the pot,but that could be dressing. And what is with the moss?As to light. I know it is South Florida,but North exposure? Bougies like light. I live 23N latitude and mine get at least six hours of full sun.

The substrate is unknown to me but i purchased from a reputable grower that is located in miami and hard to get a hold of. The gravel appears as a top dressing and the moss was part of the deal... The moss seems to be suffering a bit drying out but I like the look, although i see your point. After poking the soil a bit the soil seems to be an organic mix with bits of sand like material with small roots... Noticed there is a flap of some sort ..?

Bougianvillea like to go practically dry between watering. If you have highly organic substrate you need to keep its feet from being totally wet all the time. Because they are susceptible to rot. Curious if the rocks on the surface are decorative or the actual substrate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 57

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Your substrate is definitely organic...not sure if you feel up to a repot or not. But, I would watch watering with what it's in now. Stick a chopstick in the pot...and check it. When it's no longer showing dampness when pulled out. Then water your tree. I just repotted a bougainvillea that was in full organic substrate. And even watching my watering...I noticed root rot setting in. Which made me glad I repotted it when I did.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You could also...get a mister and mist the moss...but, trying to keep the moss happy and not rot your tree by not soaking the moss to the point of saturation with water or you'll end up with wet roots all the time...

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
You say it is beside the pool, it could be suffering from the chlorine fumes burning the leaves. I can't be around home pools because most have much too much chlorine dumped into them. I've seen potted plants suffer around swimming pools.

Nice little tress. Terrible soil. Go to Miami Tropical Bonsai (actually in Homestead) and get a bag of whatever soil they might recommend. Also ask them about Bougainvillaea's reaction to chlorine.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
You could also...get a mister and mist the moss...but, trying to keep the moss happy and not rot your tree by not soaking the moss to the point of saturation with water or you'll end up with wet roots all the time...
You say it is beside the pool, it could be suffering from the chlorine fumes burning the leaves. I can't be around home pools because most have much too much chlorine dumped into them. I've seen potted plants suffer around swimming pools.

Nice little tress. Terrible soil. Go to Miami Tropical Bonsai (actually in Homestead) and get a bag of whatever soil they might recommend. Also ask them about Bougainvillaea's reaction to chlorine.

We actually purchased the tree at Miami Tropical and a bag of their soil so we may avoid that ride from Boca for now. Our northern exposure means we don't need much chlorine in the pool so we are not thinking it is chlorine but obviously it's a consideration. Does anyone use leaf Shine?. There is a bit of haze on the older leaves but not on the new, I can rub it off but so many leaves!!!

Geo

Chumono
Reaction score
Todos Santos,Baja Sur Elev56M 23.46N 110.24W
USDA Zone
11+
First: Welcome to the forum. Nothing like getting right to it!
Second: Lets not complicate the issue.I don't even claim to know what "LEAFSHINE" is,but don't use it on your tree.Sounds like something for waxy leaves anyway.Like Rubber trees or something..
So: more light.You can repot now,but watch what you are doing with the roots.They break easily and are all round touchy.Do not prune much root,unless you detect rot. Try to cut that out.
The chopstick in the soil is essential.Put one in every pot,including houseplants.This tree has a nice trunk but already looks leggy to me.This will worsen over time;especially if it gets over watered and over fertilized.Anyway,maybe someone else can comment about Bougie pruning. Just to say here that they take it well.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
It sounds like you're on the right track. As said above, Bougies like to be a bit drier than most other tropical plants. Make sure the soil is somewhat dry before watering (rather than just the top dressing). I wouldn't worry about the moss for now, even if it dries up. Maybe just even remove it now. The tree's health should come first.

It looks like it has plenty of fertilizer (based on the 'flap' picture), so I wouldn't add more now. I would avoid the LeafShine. I doubt the chlorine has anything to do with it.

You can prune "spent" branches back, hopefully leaving some green on them. I'd wait to do any hard pruning until you're sure that it's happy.

Nice looking tree. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Your substrate is definitely organic...not sure if you feel up to a repot or not. But, I would watch watering with what it's in now. Stick a chopstick in the pot...and check it. When it's no longer showing dampness when pulled out. Then water your tree. I just repotted a bougainvillea that was in full organic substrate. And even watching my watering...I noticed root rot setting in. Which made me glad I repotted it when I did.

Ordering Chinese takeout -- thanks for that simple tip, it will help while waiting for the water meter to arrive

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
First: Welcome to the forum. Nothing like getting right to it!
Second: Lets not complicate the issue.I don't even claim to know what "LEAFSHINE" is,but don't use it on your tree.Sounds like something for waxy leaves anyway.Like Rubber trees or something..
So: more light.You can repot now,but watch what you are doing with the roots.They break easily and are all round touchy.Do not prune much root,unless you detect rot. Try to cut that out.
The chopstick in the soil is essential.Put one in every pot,including houseplants.This tree has a nice trunk but already looks leggy to me.This will worsen over time;especially if it gets over watered and over fertilized.Anyway,maybe someone else can comment about Bougie pruning. Just to say here that they take it well.

thank you! No fooling around now that I've taken the plunge and purchased a few trees, I got a black olive, Fukien tea, small juniper as well as the bougainvillea and realized that while I have great love and respect for bonsai and have been moved to tears by them, I've never had any and now that I have do I really feel responsible for them and don't want to kill them. I live near Morikami Gardens and mistakenly thought that I could get some tips there but sorry no classes til next spring which makes no sense to me at all, kind of frustrated but will join a bonsai club when we find one that actually meets

Reactions: Geo

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ordering Chinese takeout -- thanks for that simple tip, it will help while waiting for the water meter to arrive
Your quite welcome...
If you switch to bonsai substrate...many find that water meters are iffy at best for monitoring it. I personally haven't used one...but, if you type it into the search...you will see it's came up in topic. Never really positive feedback on them. Though, if your keeping in organic it might work...but, you also have to really watch for rot. Since they are proned to it.

Wish you tons of success...it's a great hobby to get into. Finding things that work for ones zone...stacks the cards in your favor as well. A lesson I learned the hard way.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B

I have no experience with repotting but I do not like the pot that the plant came in.... To handcrafted for my taste so I need to find a class or someone to assist me with that but figured I had plenty of time for repotting but I will search a pot for the replacement in advance of the inevitable

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to the forum and the art. A very nice tree to start with. First the soil, absolutely get it out of that soil. With the small amount of roots it probably has, water log soil is a killer. Don't trim them unless they are mushy and black, leave as much as possible. Once it is in proper bonsai soil, mostly inorganic, and a pot with good drainage you almost can't overwater. Be patient they're very tolerant plants and it should rebound nicely. It looks to be a dwarf species as the blooms are in cluster possibly Cream dwarf.

Reaction score

When I first started, I used a water meter for my first bonsai (a bougainvillea). It eventually died due to overwatering. The problem is that most bonsai soil has too much inorganic. This allows more air into the soil, which the meter will generally read as "dry". They're usually calibrated more for traditional potting soil.

If it were my tree, I'd repot it now. Bougies can be repotted with success in summer. If you wait, you'll have to wait until next spring to do so. The substrate looks a bit iffy to me, but I'm not familiar with Florida nurseries, so it might be good quality. The moss makes me suspicious though.

Your tree is beautiful, and it will be a great shohin once you prune it back a little and get the foliage more compact.

Welcome to the forum. If you create new threads for your other trees, you'll get tons of input, links to good info, and advice. But none of that will compare to a good bonsai club.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
When I first started, I used a water meter for my first bonsai (a bougainvillea). It eventually died due to overwatering. The problem is that most bonsai soil has too much inorganic. This allows more air into the soil, which the meter will generally read as "dry". They're usually calibrated more for traditional potting soil.

If it were my tree, I'd repot it now. Bougies can be repotted with success in summer. If you wait, you'll have to wait until next spring to do so. The substrate looks a bit iffy to me, but I'm not familiar with Florida nurseries, so it might be good quality. The moss makes me suspicious though.

Your tree is beautiful, and it will be a great shohin once you prune it back a little and get the foliage more compact.

Welcome to the forum. If you create new threads for your other trees, you'll get tons of input, links to good info, and advice. But none of that will compare to a good bonsai club.

Wow thanks for the tip... I'm going to call around tomorrow and find a club, I heard Fort Lauderdale has a good one so I may call them to see if I can get some repotting assistance...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Welcome to the forum and the art. A very nice tree to start with. First the soil, absolutely get it out of that soil. With the small amount of roots it probably has, water log soil is a killer. Don't trim them unless they are mushy and black, leave as much as possible. Once it is in proper bonsai soil, mostly inorganic, and a pot with good drainage you almost can't overwater. Be patient they're very tolerant plants and it should rebound nicely. It looks to be a dwarf species as the blooms are in cluster possibly Cream dwarf.

Cream dwarf! Thank you! I bought some soil from the grower. I'm going to open the bag tomorrow and check it out, I did purchase from a highly regarded grower in Homestead FL. Miami Bonsai so I have a bit of trust that the solid should be good but I'm going to investigate more.... Thank you all for such an informative day for me

Top Bottom