Bougainvillea bonsai thornless

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bougie in Florida, get it in full sun ! The leaves look healthy the little white spots at the edge of the leaves is where something chewed it, the white film on the leaves is from hard water probably a well with the Fla. limestone in it. The moss will keep the soil too wet for your bougie. I really do not see much yellowing which by the way could be chlorosis if the plant has not seen a good acidic fert in a while but yours looks fine. Those small yellow leaves in the 2nd pic at the bottom left and the near middle are just bracts that are starting to form. The bracts are the colored leaves, the flowers are the teenie white things that appear from the middle of the colored bracts on little tubular extrusions..

ed

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your welcome. There are clubs in Sunrise and one at Flamingo Gardens which are fairly close. Flamingo gardens has the added bonus, it's a great place to spend the day. The new panther exibit should be open. I've been to Miami tropical Bonsai several times and purchased prebonsai there, very nice place and there soil should be ok though I've never tried it. As far as repotting, remove it from the pot, tease the roots out with a chop stick or something similar, don't rake through the soil bougy roots break easily. Lightly trim the roots. There are some good videos on YouTube that will help show how to repot but there is nothing like local clubs for advise and hands on experience.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I thought you said you were in Boca. There's a club there.

FLORIDA - Boca Raton

Lighthouse Bonsai Society. Meets at the Boca Raton Community Center, 150 N. W. Crawford Blvd., Boca Raton, FL, 4th Saturday, 9:30 AM. Contact: Rita Rosenberg, Phone: (516) 251-1802 or E-mail: riritobyrose@aol.com Lighthouse Bonsai Society is a group of novices as well as experienced enthusiasts. The more experienced are more than helpful. Our meetings are fun and educational. No cost to check us out. If interested, join. Annual membership is $25. We have Visiting Masters, Hands On Workshops, Demonstrations plus much more. Ask to be placed on our mailing list.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks healthy to me. Feed often. Should grow like a weed in Florida. If sited properly the moss won't survive. Moss is for show anyways. Clean the surface of all that gravel as well. Alot of people use the chopstick method, so I guess it works. Personally, I think if your taking out the stick and it's still wet a couple of days after you've watered, your soil is holding to much water. I agree with their roots being fragile. However, drying them out and/or letting them become pot-bound has not been productive. This tree, here on the compound, was treated in this manner and did nothing for two years really. So, the decision was made to repot, feed and water heavily. Hasn't stopped flowering since. Even indoors up here in the North Pole it's watered 2-3 times a week over winter.

DSC00455.JPG

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
I thought you said you were in Boca. There's a club there.

FLORIDA - Boca Raton

Lighthouse Bonsai Society. Meets at the Boca Raton Community Center, 150 N. W. Crawford Blvd., Boca Raton, FL, 4th Saturday, 9:30 AM. Contact: Rita Rosenberg, Phone: (516) 251-1802 or E-mail: riritobyrose@aol.com Lighthouse Bonsai Society is a group of novices as well as experienced enthusiasts. The more experienced are more than helpful. Our meetings are fun and educational. No cost to check us out. If interested, join. Annual membership is $25. We have Visiting Masters, Hands On Workshops, Demonstrations plus much more. Ask to be placed on our mailing list.

We checked but they had their monthly meeting the day we purchased so we have to wait until next month...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Looks healthy to me. Feed often. Should grow like a weed in Florida. If sited properly the moss won't survive. Moss is for show anyways. Clean the surface of all that gravel as well. Alot of people use the chopstick method, so I guess it works. Personally, I think if your taking out the stick and it's still wet a couple of days after you've watered, your soil is holding to much water. I agree with their roots being fragile. However, drying them out and/or letting them become pot-bound has not been productive. This tree, here on the compound, was treated in this manner and did nothing for two years really. So, the decision was made to repot, feed and water heavily. Hasn't stopped flowering since. Even indoors up here in the North Pole it's watered 2-3 times a week over winter.

View attachment 79113

I checked at Miami Bonsai FB page and saw ALL of their bougies get the moss treatment... Maybe I can relocate it onto my black olive?...

Top Bottom