Bougainvillea has no leaves but lots of flowers!?

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ive got a bougainvillea that I’ve let grow... it pains me to cut it back cause the flowers (and red leaves around the flowers) are so pretty. I’ve been bringing it inside when it gets into the 40s or lower. Right now it has almost no leaves, but flowers on every branch!? Is this normal? It seems like a total waste of energy right? Should I prune it back hard now or are colored leaves still enough for photosynthesis?

Attachments

• A760B370-7AAE-4086-AA6D-1DC039C7AB20.jpeg
    A760B370-7AAE-4086-AA6D-1DC039C7AB20.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 68

bonsai-ben

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
The flowers are the tiny white things. They take very very little "energy" to produce. The red color are the "bracts" and they take as much energy as a leaf to make. Pushing a bougie doesnt stress it. Yay!

Any time you cut it back, the first thing you'll get is new bracts/flowers. You'll learn to love it. :)

Now, your "trumpets" are still white and colorful. When they start to wilt and go away, then chop it back and go nuts. Till then enjoy the show.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
B04B81D0-1287-40C3-93C0-6F94F60473B9.jpeg D7D4737F-069D-40CD-84D4-A720F5AB6EFB.jpeg A57F8618-922F-4591-B4E1-4144BE15BE79.jpeg The more you prune....or actually just pull off leaves...pulling works for me...just snap the leaves off....the more color bracts you’ll get. And the color areas will increase in density...and give you more opportunity for the next pruning and pulling. Bougainvilleas are strong survivors. Don’t prune or pull off...and you’ll get long branches with a color cloud just at the end eventually.
Sort of...maybe...maybe not....helpful views of pruning and pulling results photos.

The bracts bloom to color after pulling off leaves. Shortly after....the colors drop off and leaves grow....then start all over again....pull off leaves and get colors.
It can take a week....maybe two weeks...and the colors pop out. I guess I’ve never actually observed the bloom. Seems one day the branches are pulled clean and then I see color bursts. And....then clean up all the color bursts that fall off.

Nice tree stand...a box of chocolates? Ha ha

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It's what they do sometimes, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Mine stay out all winter and some are in leaf and flowering, some have no leafs and no flowers and I even have a couple like yours. I tend to leave them alone until it warms up again and I see active growth. Just cut back on the watering and enjoy the colour.

As long as you are not having frosts or freezes it should be fine outside. I imagine it's sulking a bit from being in and out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom