Bougainvillea, is there an issue?

Shoshin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently purchased this bougainvillea. I noticed on the trunk and branches hard black bumps. They seem to rub off easily and the bigger bumps crumble. Is this normal? I am afraid there is some sort of fungal issue but cannot source it online or in any literature.E286A983-2A98-4027-9C32-6CD09AE911D0.jpeg

Attachments

• 7F0247E8-17FB-4874-9CFC-D07A6472A387.jpeg
    7F0247E8-17FB-4874-9CFC-D07A6472A387.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 7

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
When wood gets shaded and stays damp, there are a couple hundred species of black mold/fungus that can grow on a trunk. Most of them are harmless.
A toothbrush scrub can be enough to clean it up.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most likely harmless surface mildew from growing in a hothouse. I wouldn't worry...'cept of course, keeping it alive in Strafford!! 😁

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I had quite a few bouganvillea in my landscape in SoCal. I don't see any problems. Because the bark is naturally light-colored, you are just more aware of the micro-flora that exists on most woody plants. If you had an oak tree you would never even notice it :) Yes, with bouganvillea their bark on older sections of the plant develops flaky nodules that brush off easily when handled. Generally you want to leave them alone, because they will continue to occur naturally, and they give the tree the character of age. They are quite dry and crispy and crunch under your hand (for lack of a better description).

boug.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I agree with everybody who can see things in the photo. I can't see anything.

Shoshin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you all for the feedback, I appreciate it!

Top Bottom