Bougainvillea leaves help

Kandoloh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey guys I noticed this on my bougainvillea recently. No visual pests but the tips and edges of some of the leaves are browning. It did get some rain and immediate sun after, could it be scorch? Should I prune these leaves off? image.jpgIt's on about 10 leaves on different growth shoots. Any insight would be good. Other than that she is healthy and looks like she will push out another bloom before winter.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not on Bougie. But I cut mine off just so I can see easy if it happens again.

If you really need the energy I'd leave em.

Left the browns on my elms this year.
For no reason but laziness.

Sorce

Kandoloh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It has plenty of leaves I don't think losing them will hurt it. I did fertilize it not too long ago as well, used a 12-4-8 (it's all I have right now) liquid plant food. Maybe my mix was too strong?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks like it is old. Not the newest growth?

I would guess it has something to do with what happened when those leaves grew.

I have been looking at this on my azalea, where there is a mini leaf from where it wasnt watered well.

And on an elm last year. Smaller leaves when it wilted.

?

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it was recent the new leaves would be affected.

Sorce

Kandoloh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It happened within the last week. I noticed it after a thunderstorm, then the sun came out and it was 100 degrees again. I do see a ton of scale insects on the morning glory almost directly in front of where I had the bougie. I didn't see any on the bougie but I just sprayed it with nutria to be safe.

Kandoloh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
These are all over my mom in laws morning glory's. I hope they aren't attacking my plants. I haven't seen any on them yet and I've looked very closely with a magnifying glass.image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Kandoloh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If it was recent the new leaves would be affected.

Sorce
They aren't the newest growth, but they aren't old growth either, maybe 3 weeks/1 month leaves. The brand new growth isn't displaying it, nor are the oldest leaves. I went ahead and pruned them off, will keep an eye on it. All leaves like that were roughly the same length out on the shoots, must have been something that happened at the time they grew I guess.

Kandoloh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I brought her inside until this evening in case it gets over 95 after these thunderstorms pass, I will put her back out after sunset so she doesn't burn from the nutria. You can see on the first pic where the leaves were on the shoot.image.jpg image.jpg

Desert Rat

Yamadori
Reaction score
The sun won't scorch their leaves. I can water mine mid day (and hit the leaves too), and the sun won't burn them in Phoenix. I wouldn't worry about it, they'll take A LOT of abuse. Over-feeding isn't likely either, at least in my experience. Probably just old leaves, or the plant doesn't "need" those specific ones anymore. Give a light tug on a random sampling of leaves, you'd be surprised just how many are ready to be cast off. You can have super dense thick green growth (I like N), with one or two yellow leaves, a few crispy ones, and a few torn up or chewn up.

Strong, resilient plant. I'd stick it back outside until the weather hits 45 or 50 or so.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Doesn't look like scale.
Nasty.

Your tree looks right healthy!

If you think what may have caused it, 1 month ago, it'll Probly come to you, then avoid it next year. Unless it is the month of July itself, which I can't seem to get around myself!

Sorce

Kandoloh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Doesn't look like scale.
Nasty.

If you think what may have caused it, 1 month ago, it'll Probly come to you, then avoid it next year. Unless it is the month of July itself, which I can't seem to get around myself!

Sorce
i have no idea what those bugs are but they are tearing up that morning glory, it's almost time for it to get cut back till next year anyways, just need to light the fire under the mom in law's ass. I'm sure she would let me do it though lol

Yea the bougie is putting on tons of new growth, it should be pushing some bracts again soon, I see the leaves that are going to turn already. I'm looking forward to it. I can't wait till spring when I can finally get it into better pre bonsai shape.

Last edited:

Kandoloh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Doesn't look like scale.
Nasty.

Sorce
You know what, I used some WD40 on my Coleman cooler handle before I went fishing, it may have drifted on to the leaves, it was quite breezy that day, perhaps a little bit got blown into them. Might have found the culprit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom