Bougainvillea - Let's See How It Goes

gokalp

Seedling
Reaction score
I found this bougainvillea from nursery stock. I believe it has potential. I shortened some overgrown branches and save the rest for the next month. Now I am excited about what it will look like after it leaves.

I will post updates for the progression.

What do you think? Do you have any suggestions?

starting.jpg

Séan Warnick

Sapling
Reaction score
I found this bougainvillea from nursery stock. I believe it has potential. I shortened some overgrown branches and save the rest for the next month. Now I am excited about what it will look like after it leaves.

I will post updates for the progression.

What do you think? Do you have any suggestions?

View attachment 473923
It looks beautiful! 😍. It could do with some wiring design in the branches, remember to do it before they get too hard and become unbendable.

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I think that lower right branch and upper left branch will need to be shortened but that can be done once it starts growing like crazy in the summer. Definitely a cool tree and tons of possibilities, nice find!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I think that lower right branch and upper left branch will need to be shortened but that can be done once it starts growing like crazy in the summer. Definitely a cool tree and tons of possibilities, nice find!
My thoughts also.

gokalp

Seedling
Reaction score

Thank you all.

My plan is the same but I want to see general shape after it flowers. Now there are buds everywhere, and when I bought the plant it has tons of "flower sticks" (is it what it calls) I cleaned up most of them. I think it means it will grow vigorously. After that I will make decisions for overall shape of the tree.

gokalp

Seedling
Reaction score
Update: As I didn't see the leaves when I bought it, I was not know that the tree has giant leaves :) Now I'm trying to get a lot of backbud, a lot of branches and end up with smaller leaves. Hope it works.

Attachments

• bego1.jpg
    bego1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 31
  • bego2.jpg
    bego2.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It's my experience that the first big branches it pushes out will always have large leaves. As you prune it back the leaves will get smaller though. Nice looking tree!

gokalp

Seedling
Reaction score
It's my experience that the first big branches it pushes out will always have large leaves. As you prune it back the leaves will get smaller though. Nice looking tree!
I think I'm a bit conservative about pruning because I'm just a rookie. :) I'm planning to do so step by step. Those branhes also have taper problems. When I get ramification further back on those, I'm going to cut back to that point. I don't want to lose those first branches. I love the placement of them, but also I want to reduce the size and fix the taper issue.

Top Bottom